Chapter 69 - Sea witch

[Trigger warning: Blood, gore]

Two vessels float alongside above calm water, one towering another. The enormous shadow cast onto the smaller ship like a monster ready to swallow its prey.

The buccaneers belonging to the smaller ship have their eyes fixated on a lone figure standing on the rail of the warship. Confusion, bewilderment, hostility, and fear are showing on their faces. Loud gasps overwhelm the Revenge after the mysterious man had declared his animosity.

That voice...

How could they not remember the voice of their sworn enemy?

"Chris." Hongjoong's eye shone with fathomless aversion. His hand clenches around the pistol grip, pointing toward his nemesis. His other arm tightens around my waist, bringing me closer to him.

Breath caught in my throat as soon as I realized the shadow is my supposed-to-be brother. My eyes travel to Chris on the rail. Although the surrounding is dark and he's far above, I can feel his poisonous gaze glare at Hongjoong and sweep over me. Somehow it makes me feel sick to the stomach.

It has been an emotional roller coaster in one day. Having a heartbreak since last night, being sick, getting kidnapped, confronted by the Royal Navy and currently by the villain of the story. Life couldn't be this worse.

"Commander Chris, what a bad omen to see you again. I thought you gave up on being a soldier after failing to capture me last time." Hongjoong raised his voice, though he said with a hint of mockery, I'm being with him for long enough to detect wariness in his tone. 

"That fog, was it your doing? And where is this place?" He asks the question that is lingering in my mind.

Although it's hard to believe that Chris created the fog and made us appear in the middle of nowhere in less than a minute, the villain who killed Ateez in the story shouldn't be taken lightly. Perhaps he gained cheat power like how I was sent to help Ateez.

The young commander laughs, not answering back. His body sways back and forth as he laughs. Too bad he doesn't fall down from the ship. Else, we'd have less problems to deal with.

Surprisingly, I'm not the only one who jinx the commander. Someone also has the same thought as me. "Captain, we should attack him by surprise. I'll alert Mingi and the gun crew." The quartermaster suggests from the side.

"No, if we open fire, the soldiers that are hiding are gonna rain their bullets upon us." Hongjoong rejects the plan, frowning as he scans the rails for any movement, and sees none. The enemy side is so quiet as if Chris is the only man on the deserted vessel.

Then Hongjoong turns to order the navigator, "Yunho, take the ladies to my quarter and guard them."

Yunho nods and extends his hand toward me. Hongjoong lets go of my waist, but I grab his arm. "No wait. What if I play a hostage like the last time, it could work. You know how Chris cares for his sister."

Hongjoong frowns deeper, obviously not buying my idea.

"She's right. It's the best solution we have right now." The quartermaster, for the first time, agrees with my idea. Though I suppose to be happy, instead I grimace at how Seonghwa is so enthusiastic to point a gun at my head.

"You sure about that?" Hongjoong asks me in a concerned tone.

I nod firmly. "You just saw my fabulous acting."

A small smile appears on his lips for a second and vanishes. He refocuses on the enemy who finally stops laughing.

"It's quite disappointing." Chris heaves a long sigh. "I thought of dealing with you after getting rid of that old hag. But the plan was ruined."