Chapter 33 - Star of the night I

A peaceful night of the Caribbean sea has been destroyed by the most fearsome ship of the pirate king. The ship's usual nightfall silence and eerie atmosphere completely turn into a lively feast. Sea shanties and instruments are being sung and played by the high-spirited crews of the Revenge. Smells of alcohol blend in the chill night air filling the entire vessel. The crews are either drunk singing and dancing or lying unconscious on the ground. There's no in between.

Watching from the quarterdeck is the Pirate king, he's scanning his crews with observant eyes. Corners of his lips lift up into small grins but one cannot discern his real emotions, except his closed men and one of them is the quartermaster. Seonghwa glances at his captain beside him and he can tell that his grin isn't the sign of happiness.

Today and yesterday are their lucky days as they got the complete map of Wonderland and a big amount of loot. After a long painful month of hopelessness, they were able to let go of burden within 2 days. Hongjoong ordered him to throw a feast for the crews but Hongjoong himself isn't enjoying it.

"Something on your mind?" Seonghwa asks. He thought Hongjoong was supposed to be content with their achievements.

"Why do you think that?" Hongjoong asks Seonghwa back, eye still gluing to the main deck below.

"It's obvious." Seonghwa snorts. He's been through high and low with Hongjoong. Of course, he knows Hongjoong like he knows himself. But lately Hongjoong has acted differently.

"I guess I can never hide it from you." Hongjoong grins wider.

Seonghwa waits for more explanation but doesn't receive one. Hongjoong only stares intently at one spot. Seonghwa follows his eyesight and has an urge to roll his eyes when spotting the 2 nuisance girls. They're sitting on rum casks near the rail of starboard. Their radiance beauty makes the crews turn their heads, drooling unsightly. Seonghwa doesn't like the idea of having women on their ship, not because of the superstitious belief but the beauties can be a hassle, especially on a ship full of men.

"Never known she's a boozer." Seonghwa snickers, looking at the seer drowning herself with a mug of rum.

"So she's the cause of your trouble." He glances back at Hongjoong. He noticed the way Hongjoong looks at her, it's the same when he looks at treasure. Surely, he doesn't like how captain having a distraction but as long as he doesn't mess up, he won't interfere Hongjoong's business.

Hongjoong sips his wine and chuckles lightly at Soenghwa' comment.

"Nah, it's the other way around." He grins mischievously. But Seonghwa thinks otherwise, it's both ways. Even the seer looks equally upset. He doesn't want to know whatever happens between them.

The heartless quartermaster peers at the seer and feels slight pity toward her. Because once the pirate king sets his eyes on something, he'll win over it no matter what it takes.

---

Bitter taste of rum fills my mouth as I swallow the content from my mug. It's not that I'm a heavy drinker but I drink it to burn down my bitterness inside my heart. Because I have run into an end, I can't think of any good plans. I spent the whole day plotting another scheme but none would be able to fool the pirate king. Until at night, the crews forced Aurora and I to join their party even though we didn't want to participate.

Faraway from the crowd, we are sitting idly on a rum cask. Aurora hasn't talked to me since this morning. The atmosphere is really awkward between us.

Eyes sweeping through the crowd, I see Jongho playing a fiddle with other several crews, forming a small music band. Not far away, tipsy Mingi and Wooyoung are shouting and singing sea shanties with drinks in their hands. And on the side, Yunho and Yeosang are dancing. Yunho attempts to do footwork but he trips on his leg and falls down on Yeosang, making them collide on the floor.