Chapter 36 - Misunderstand

"Captain." The quartermaster calls for his captain's attention.

The other crews shift nervously in their spot, waiting for their captain orders.

From the quarterdeck, the tiny captain has been fiercely staring at his wrecked ship for a full minute now.

Their once majestic ship has turned into a mess. The ship tilts slightly but fortunately manages to sail. The low spirit Revenge's crew look around their flagship's worst state; torn black sails, broken floor, tangled rigging, splatter of red and blue blood.

They don't get used to the loss as they are always on the winning side and the one that inflicts damage on others.

However, this time their opponent was the legendary sea creature. The Kraken appeared to wreak havoc and fled into the water just like that. They were puzzled why it left them alive. But it might be considered their luck as they are still breathing.

"Calamity," Hongjoong mutters. The others around him share confused looks.

Hongjoong let out sarcastic chuckles. "She was right."

The crew gulp down saliva when they see Hongjoong grin widely. The scariest Hongjoong is when he grins like that.

"Hongjoong." Seonghwa calls Hongjoong for the second time.

"Go ahead." Hongjoong finally turns to Seonghwa, signaling him to speak.

Seonghwa then begins his report. "Report damages; 15 dead, 10 missing, and 30 heavy injuries."

Half of their crews are either dead or injured. The number causes the atmosphere to be gloomier.

"The starboard was crushed to the lower deck, mainmast has visible cracks, 6 damaged cannons, ¼ of food supplies was lost because its tentacles happened to wreck through the storage room."

The crew draw breath as the list of damage goes on.

"Captain, with the ship's condition, the quest to Wonderland is to be delayed." Seonghwa finished his report and Hongjoong scrunched his eyebrows in deep thought.

"Captain, what if kraken or other creatures attack us again?" Someone in the crowd said.

They've sailed into the outer region of the devil's triangle but Kraken already came to greet them. What will await them inside? They shudder at the thought.

Hongjoong's face darkens when he notices his crews' dreadful expression.

"You afraid?" Hongjoong lower his voice, sharp gaze piercing into his crews but none brave enough to look at him.

"Answer me!!" He slams his fist onto the rail. The others jolt in fright. "The Revenge doesn't have a place for a weakling."

"If you're scared," He points at the water. "Make yourself disappear from my ship." His icy voice cut through their hearts.

"No, we aren't afraid." Seonghwa answers.

Hongjoong side glance at Seonghwa whose face also begins to darken at Hongjoong's unnecessary anger toward their crews. They are still terrified by the monster's onslaught. And now they're getting more terrified because their captain starts to be scarier than the kraken.

But even if Hongjoong appears to be cold-blooded, the crews still admire his fearless attitude. That's why they choose to follow him and swear allegiance to him.

Hongjoong shot a dead glare at his crews for one last time and spoke to Seonghwa.

"You assign new duties to men who can still work and supervise overall repairing." Seonghwa quietly nods his head.