Chapter 17 - Port Royal II

*Trigger warning violence*

While chasing after the merchant, my left shoe falls off in the process.

Running on the ground that is full of pebbles and sand, my foot hurts but I don't have time to care as my fate is in that merchant's hands.

"Stop!!" I scream at him, knowing wholeheartedly that he won't stop.

Then he turns into a corner. I take a sharp turn and see him stand frozen looking at the wall before him.

To my luck, the alley is a dead end.

"Give me the map." I say while panting heavily.

His panic expression turns into relief once he notices me alone.

"Which map? I have many of them if you're interested." He tries to act casually, thick lips stretch into a smile.

"You know what I meant, the Wonderland map." I don't feel it's a good idea to follow him alone. This man seems to have many tricks up his sleeve.

"The Wonderland map..." He pauses, "Too bad, I already sold it to my client."

No, he's lying. I saw Aurora's pendant glowed. That means the map is still with him; in that leather bag he's clutching while running earlier until now. The map is so valuable that he carries it himself, not the guards.

"Don't lie. I know it's in that bag."

The merchant laugh it off

"Miss, I only do trade with worthy clients. As for the Wonderland map, I doubt you can pay higher than my current client." He smirks while padding on his leather bag.

I don't think Ateez will agree to sit down and do business in civil way. They probably obtain it with brute force.

"I don't do trade. I'm here to steal." I shamelessly say, feeling badass for the first time of my life.

"Haha, what nonsensical thing are you saying." He laughs but his eyes gleam dangerously.

I pick up a glass bottle lying nearby and point at him, "Hand the map to me when I'm still nice." I borrow Ateez's word.

"What a weak girl like you can do to harm me. Let me leave or else you'll know the consequence." He slowly put his hand in the pocket to grab a hilt of his dagger and point at me.

Oh shit.

I swallow my terror and stay firm on my ground like the weapon doesn't have an effect on me.

"Now I'm still being nice. Get outta my way." The merchant voice fills with animosity. He waves his dagger in front of my face.

Not sure if this is bravery or stupidity, I throw the bottle to his head and it hit him square in the face.

Wow, I'm actually good at aiming.

The bottle shatters. He immediately grabs his now wounded face and he accidently lets go of his dagger as it falls to the ground.

I sprint to pick up the dagger in both of my shaky hands.

Blood ticking down from his wound, he growls in anger.

"Don't come any closer and give me the map!" Adrenaline pumping through my body. I've never done something this reckless in my life.

But he's striding closer and unexpectedly throws the bag at me. I lose focus trying to grab the bag as he uses that opportunity to twist my wrist. Dagger falls onto the ground while I scream in pain.