Chapter 41 - Punishment

The moonlight faintly lit up the path where Hongjoong's leading me.

I trail behind him, holding a small lamp in my hand. Watching his back, my heart pounds in a strange rhythm.

He stops at the same rocky beach where San dragged me this noon. I stand a few steps away from him, feeling insecure of what will happen.

Instead of getting right into conversation, Hongjoong raises his head to look at the moon.

I peer warily at him. His character isn't the type to beat around the bush. So his quietness doubles my uneasiness.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask him as I can't tolerate the suspense anymore.

"Full moon in the next 2 days." His voice is void of emotion, not answering my question.

I follow his eyesight and look at the glowing moon illuminating the clear night sky. It's obvious that he didn't bring me here to appreciate nature but to remind me that they have 1 month left to lift the curse. And I must help them achieve the goal or else...I shudder at the possible scenarios that could end my life.

"You're worried about the curse?" I glance back at his side profile. Although the moonlight allows me to see a glimpse of his face, I can't decipher his emotion.

"I have the most powerful seer with me. Why should I be worried?" He says without sparing a glance at me.

My non existing seer power shivers under my skin. Imagine him knowing I don't possess the power, I'll be deemed useless and a liar. Although I'm scared shitless, my mouth says the opposite thing. "Right, nothing to be worried about. I foresee you guys in Wonderland. You will make it, trust me."

A corner of his mouth lifts up but I'm sure he isn't smiling. The conversation ends as he doesn't ask me further and keeps staring at the night sky. The night cool breeze envelops us. Sound of waves lapping against the beach eases my nerves until Hongjoong decides to break the peaceful silence.

"Do you know what else in my mind?"

"Huh?" I think he mistakes my seer power as a mind reader. I shake my head and crane my neck to see that he's already staring at me.

"You."

Eh? I'm taken aback by his answer.

"Did I offend you?" I search for my past actions. Today is the first day that I see him after staying on the island, so when did I offend him.

"Yes, you did. And you know what happens to people who offend pirate king?" A sly grin stretches across on his face.

I know I'm in trouble when I see him smiling like a psycho. Anxiously gulping down, I step backward. Seeing I'm backing away, he strides closer to me. Before I managed to sprint away, his hand suddenly caught my waist, yanking me into his embrace.

I yelp and let go of the lamp. It falls to the ground and the light dies down.

The closeness makes my thought jumbles. I froze in his embrace. The sound of the surrounding fade and all I can hear is my own erratic heartbeats. I look downward to avoid his intrigue stare. His hot breath blows at my forehead.

"You scared?" He whispers in a teasing tone.

I shake my head. But honestly, I'm about to pee in my pants.

He chuckles against my ear. "Look at me Star." His free hand grabs at my chin, raising my face up and meeting his sparkle orbs.

"I love to see fear in people's eyes because it means they grant their lives in my palm." The wind continues to blow harsher as he speaks. His mullet sways in the wind. He looks so intimidating yet enticing at the same time.