Chapter 73 - Crazy plan

The orlop deck is my most disliked place. It's dark as the natural light can't go through. Bilge water on the floor kills my nose with its foul smell. The temperature is slightly chillier than the other places on the ship. 

In a dim passageway, whenever half monstrous crews walk pass, I almost have a heart attack. They greet the tiny captain who walks in front of the group.  The quartermaster and Aurora walk behind him. Followed by, the boatswain and I. Jongho gently supports me as I'm walking perfectly fine on my own. I didn't reject his gesture though as I need his support in this haunted environment. 

After a short walk, our group stops in front of the room where I spent the first night on the Revenge. Even until now, I didn't get an answer why they requested Aurora and I to the brig and only allow the boatswain to follow them.

"Joong, why are you taking us here?" Aurora asks warily. She probably has a bad memory when Ateez locked her in the room next to the brig.

"I don't want to bring both of you here, but he insisted, otherwise he won't open his mouth." Hongjoong sighs frustratedly.

I frown. Who is the person Hongjoong talking to? I turn to Jongho for an answer. His body tenses, a sign of distaste displays on his face. I guess whoever behind the door is an extremely awful person to make Jongho dislike him.

Seonghwa opens the door. An intense foul odor greets us. Hongjoong steps inside the room and we follow after him.

The room is dark, I barely see anything until Seonghwa carries a lamp inside.

The wall and floor are smeared with dried blood. Rats running around the room as they're startled by the light. There're two figure chained to the ground on the opposite corner of the jail. They cladded in torn Royal Navy attires. Their faces and bodies are covered by bruises. I can't recognize who they are.

"Chirs?" Aurora gasps.

Shocked, my hand flies to my mouth. I completely forgot about his existence. He's still alive even after I stabbed him. I stare at the bloody damp cloth that wraps around his stomach and feel bad for almost killing him.

Chris opens one of his eyes as another side is swollen closed. He blinks to adjust to the light, then cry once he spot the female lead. "Aurora." His voice is so hoarse and weak as if he didn't consume water for months. He lunges toward her but the chain hold him back.

"Aurora!" He shouts like a wild dog. Aurora contorts her face and hides behind Hongjoong's back. Shocked by her action, he turns to glare at Hongjoong. "What have you done to her!?"

Hongjoong returns the hostile glare back to Chris. "Commander Chris, I brought them as promised so now speak."

Yet, Chris disregards of Hongjoong's remark and continues shouting for Aurora. Seonghwa steps forward and kicks Chris in the chest. "Speak before I cut your tongue out!"

Chris flings into the floor by the powerful kick. He coughs hoarsely and turns to glare at Seonghwa. His menacing glare scan around the room and falls on me.

"Alice!" He cries, his split lips spread into a wide smile, scurrying toward me. When I look closely at him, he lost an aura of arrogant antagonist. His handsome face is now ruined with unhealed wounds and blood. He wasn't in bad shape when I last saw him. 

"Did they hurt you?!" He glances worriedly at me.

"You were the one that hurt them. Now tell us why you were with the witch!?" Hongjoong growls.

Chris swallows hard, his lips quiver. "D-did she hurt you?"

I nod.

"Your beloved sister almost died in your hands." Seonghwa sneers.