Chapter 212

Danny waves to us as we approach.

"Not at all, I sure am happy to see you too. How do you like your new rides?"

Today he's wearing a new long red robe with a light defense buff, just like the older man that greeted us on our way in here yesterday.

The two golden brown camels have a similar colored cloth over their humps with comfortable but lightweight-looking seating for two on each attached.

He speaks again.

"Hop on, I'll take you to the other side of town to fill up on water and gear. My ride is over there too."

Abby steps in.

"Your ride? What do you mean by that? Who said we'd be bringing you along?"

I let out a chuckle, then jump up onto the camel in front of me with an assist from some wind magic beneath my feet.

Danny replies.

"Well, hey... It's not that I don't trust ya. The village elder just said it would be a good idea for me to go along, you know, just to make sure the job gets done."

Arie smirks, then hops up onto the second camel next to me.

"Makes sense, I don't mind if you come."

Maria nods happily, then jumps up onto the camel that I'm riding, hugging me from behind.

"Works for me too!"

Abby lets out a long sigh, then nods.

"Well, then it's fine by me. Where's this water stock-up station you were talking about? I'm pretty sure we're set for supplies."

She turns to me.

I nod in agreement. I have more than enough food and water for all of us.

Then Danny points off down the same road we came back from last night.

"Just around this bend, and the supplies aren't for you. Come on, follow me."

He begins to skip happily down the street. Abby follows on foot as Arie and I get a hand of controlling the camels down the semi-crowded sandy backroads.

Less than 2 minutes later we make it to the edge of the village, finding ourselves in front of a few small square-shaped huts that seem to be very recently built.

There are a few children running inside and outside the huts playing while some women clean and craft items. An old man tends to a camel gulping down water at an alarmingly fast rate from a tub on the sandy floor.

Danny waves and speaks up.

"Elder! These are the hunters I was talking about. We're just about to head out. We'll be able to go back to our home village soon, maybe even tonight!"

The older man with a horribly slouched back and half-closed eyes looks up at us with a blank expression on his face. It turns into a rehearsed kind smile, then he gets back to refilling the camel's water tub.

Danny turns back to us, now walking backwards and looking up at me as we approach.

"The two you're riding on are already set for water, over a hundred liters each! You should give them more as much as possible, but if worst comes to worst, they'll be fine for a few days. Even a week or more in the worst circumstances. Best to keep 'em happy though!"

He smiles, turning around to pet the large camel behind him as it finishes the tub of water. The happy creature licks its lips and raises its head with a satisfied glimmer in its eyes.