Chapter 286

"Alright, let's get down to business."

After a nice meal and a hot shower, we are all aware that the nightmare of captivity and torture is over. Our new mission is to piece together every bit of information we have to save our friend.

After my initial statement breaking our food coma, all eyes are on me.

I look around the room a few times, then activate my newest skill.

"Hush"

A near-invisible grey orb of energy expands from my index finger and surrounds the entire room. All sounds of the outside world completely vanish, and we're isolated by an impenetrable sound barrier.

It doesn't hold any physical mass and can be walked through without any external sensation. Unless you're of an Elite level mana control status, it would not be possible to detect.

My teammate's eyes begin to wander, so I explain.

"It's a sound barrier. A new ability I picked up recently."

Arie, Abby, and Maria are used to my random odd new abilities, but Fisher and the Old man look amazed.

Still, they let me continue in the silence.

"Let's recount the last few days. Mention any slip of the tongue from the guards, or even a painting on the wall that you noticed off. Anything and everything helps. All extra information is good information. Our first priority is finding our teammate, but there's something much bigger at play here too."

With a round of attentive nods in my direction I begin to recall the events of the last few days.

I start with the pins that act as shielding, then the name of their organization, and finally the ranking system they seem to follow.

Placing the silver "002" badge on a small coffee table I look over to Chester.

"What do you think? I've never seen a shielding artifact like this before. It's easily on par with ranked-up bosses."

He examines the pin as I continue on about the short-haired blond's torture techniques and how she mentioned Brutus giving up information on all of us.

Abby gets red-faced at this point and interjects through gritted teeth.

"So they were involved. That's the final straw... Ever since I joined the Association they've only treated me like a well-paid slave. All of this information being held from us while we risk our lives only to be sold out to the highest bidder. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going back."

I nod with a grin.

"Agreed. Brutus deserves a taste of his own medicine. I'm in the same boat, but for now this isn't our top priority."

Next, I carefully explain why they were interrogating me for so long, and the reason for their questioning Lydia. While leaving out the part where I myself have the power to wield Demonic Energy, I explain how they wanted information on the final boss room as well as details on items Lydia was farming on the floor below.

Maria and Fisher are angered by this point.

The blue-haired mage is the first to speak.

"So that's what they meant."

I raise an eyebrow as he continues.

"While I was being questioned, the guard wouldn't stop asking me about black stones. He wanted to know if I was hiding any. Over... and over."

He looks back down at his lap.

"We're known to party together, so maybe they had some past intel and wanted to be thorough."