Chapter 250

"Yes, there's a lot to explain. We have a difficult mission ahead of us. Now, I'm feeling much more confident about our odds of success."

The long white hair of the new mysterious Ice-Mage blows back and forth in the weak breeze as she looks off into the city.

It's in the exact same direction I've been probing out ever since I stepped out of that training chamber.

The exact direction where I can feel a dense area of dungeon portals all covered up by dense layers of mana shielding. It's less than a kilometer away and some readings are up to 30 meters underground.

Others are near or closer to the surface, but the majority of the energy readings are clearly coming from beneath the city.

With my All-Seeing Eye on full blast, it's as plain as day where they're located.

I'm the first to reply.

"Alright, let's head off then. I'm sure there's not much time to waste. Explain the details on the way."

She nods, and we're off.

We leave our camels behind and begin walking through the city streets. It's getting too crowded and cluttered in town with everything now in full motion. Bringing them along would be a hassle.

As we get further away from the towers, the streets open up even more into lively markets. Palm trees hand over the bright-colored shops and more towers can be seen off in the distance.

This seems to be a much more casual restaurant and shopping district for locals.

Both Fisher and Lydia walk with their faces fully uncovered, without a care in the world. I'm the first to ask about it.

"Hey- Aren't the people around here not too fond of Association Hunters? Especially Elites. I saw bounty posters with our faces on them, don't you two have prices on your heads too?"

Fisher smirks and turns around to comment on my claim.

"Yeah, yeah. We've had bounties out here for as long as I can remember. It's no big deal. No one's powerful enough to contain hunters like us. If they were, they'd have much better things to do than pick a fight with the Association."

I nod to myself as he continues.

"Most of the smaller towns and settlements deep in the desert tend to keep the anti-hunter traditions alive. There isn't much else to do out there, hating on a government is all they can really do to pass the time."

I open my mouth, but Lydia begins to speak from my left side so I listen.

"In short- don't worry about it. The people here are just people. Like you and me, they have their own lives to worry about. We have a much more important mission to concentrate on."

I nod, then take down my hood.

I'm not fully convinced we're in the clear here. There's always an exception to the rule, especially when money is involved.

It makes sense, but to be honest I'm a bit distracted by a whole lot of other things.

The bounties were never too much of a worry for me. The thought still at the forefront of my mind is the immense power difference between Fisher and Lydia.

More like, the power difference between Lydia and anyone I've ever met before.

Although this is the first time I've truly ever been able to sense mana control levels, hers seems off the charts.

Now that she's less than 3 meters away, and practically leaking out pure ice-imbued energy, it's clear her mana control is definitely at least on par with mine.