Chapter 278

It all happens in an instant.

I shoot a thin black blade of refined energy from the tips of my fingers out of my bloodied right hand. It flies up in the air, heading straight for her left shoulder.

The woman's expression changes to disbelief, and she activates her mana shielding before the collision. She's an elite-level hunter, so even when completely caught off guard her shielding activates for protection.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to her, this is the worst move the blond could have possibly done.

She lets out a scream as yellow and white sparks fly.

Her mana shielding gets sliced clean through and her left shoulder takes the brunt of the explosion that follows.

With no way of avoiding or blocking the incoming attack, this results in a loud thud and clang as her disconnected arm hits the table in front of me. The rest of her body is blown backward from the blast of expelled mana shielding.

The silver key falls from her fingertips into a puddle of blood on the table between my cuffed wrists and chest.

I tilt my head down and grab the key with my teeth, craning my neck forward to position it toward the keyhole during all the confusion.

Her disconnected arm rolls off the table to hit the floor, and the woman looks at me from the other side of the room in utter shock. Her wound is dripping blood, but more importantly, crackling with yellow and white sparks on the parts exposed to my Demonic Energy colliding with her shielding.

Even her disconnected limb is crackling and slowly dissolving into a pile of ash on the floor as I finally manage to get the key in the small hole.

*Click*

I deactivate my Demonic Energy Skill, making sure the only remaining 2 units of matter are locked away in my core.

The cuffs both open at once, and I feel the world around me begin to come back to life in full color once again. The mana in the air is very weak but it's more than the 0MP I've been subject to for the last few days.

I immediately plunder just enough from my surroundings to use self regeneration on my burns and scars while re-growing my fingers and missing flesh.

The silent shock turns to screams of horror from the woman sat in the back corner of the room. She just speaks in a frightened tone as I get up from the table.

"N-No... H-How?"

I use inspect and appraisal on her to make sure I'm not in over my head here.

_____________________

[Lv. 312]

Active Items:

Golden Amulet of Protection [+70% Defense]

Golden Ring of Power [+65% Strength][+50 Mental Strength]

High-Grade B-Class Shielding Artifact [31/100][IC]

Active Skills:

Lie Detector [Legendary Grade]

Dagger Mastery

_____________________

A ton of red flags pop up in my mind. Her level is way too low to operate mana shielding, but there's an artifact in her status that somehow allows her to activate an artificial one. The [31/100] must be an amount of uses remaining, but the [IC] is a mystery to me.

Her top skill on the other hand... I've seen it before, just not a legendary-grade version. The Director's assistant has the same one. It makes sense someone with a similar skill would be put in a position like this.