Raymond Holt- Coming Out (a)

After just transferring to a new precinct, having to hold a meeting with your new captain was an extremely nerve-wracking thing to do.

"Holt... Sorry, Captain Holt..." Your captain raised his hand to stall your speaking.

"Captain Holt will be fine, carry on."

"Well, there was a small issue that I wanted to speak about." He shot an intrigued glance at you.

"Is it the fact that the snack machine is out of milk duds? Hitchcock and Scully have made me relentlessly aware of the issue and I am working out a solution."

"No Sir, it is actually a bit more serious than that." His face dropped.

"By god, it's not out of Cheetos is it? The last time we ran out of Cheetos Scully started a riot." With a concerned expression he started to leave his seat and frantically dial on his phone.

"No Sir, No, the snack machine is fine."

"Fantastic." He sat back down and with a sigh of relief adjusted his standard black tie.

"Actually Sir, it is a bit of an announcement." You felt the butterflies flip in your stomach.

"Why, you aren't leaving are you detective? You are one of my best detectives."

"No Sir, at least I hope I don't have to, I wanted to tell you before telling anybody else, and if you don't like it, well, I don't know what I will do."

"What is it detective? The suspense is just... killing me." He spoke in the same monotone voice that he did most of the time, if he was on the edge of his seat he was doing a fantastic job at hiding it.

"You see Sir, I'm gay." His expression did not change.

"Excuse me detective?"

"I am gay..."

"Does it affect your work detective?"

"Well no..."

"Then I don't care." He stood up and tapped a stack of files on his desk, leaving them in an organised pile.

"What! YOU DON'T... care? You don't care?"

"What reaction did you want me to give you? Throwing you out of the precinct by the scruff of your neck whilst the rest of the detectives prepare a place to hide your body?"

"Well no Sir but I..."

"You what detective?"

"I just thought you might not approve."

"Well actually detective Y/S/N, me and my husband were discussing how gay marriage is an abomination over dinner last night."

"You and your husband?"

"Yes, me and my husband, Kevin."

"I am so sorry Sir, I had no idea."

"Why are you apologising, it is not work related, so I don't see it as appropriate to always bring it up in the workplace. But, for the records, I clearly have no issue with your sexuality." He pointed at his pot of pens and pencils, a radiant rainbow flag proudly hung in it.

~*~

Written by Aaron.