Amy Santiago- Sleep: Part 1 (a)

Another blissful sleep ruined by the monotonous screech of your alarm clock, the signal that another day of hard work lay ahead.

"Turn your alarm off." Amy wrapped a pillow around her head and pressed it firmly against her ears.

"Shouldn't you have left for work like two hours ago?" You asked as you turned the relentless beeping off. She peeled the pillow from her head and checked the phone that sat on her bedside table. In the blue glow you say her cheeks a harsh red, her face clammy and a mountain of tissues on her table.

"I phoned in, I'm not feeling too well. Terry said he could take my work for the day; I'll just get him back." It wasn't usual for Amy to take a day from work, so it really must have been bad.

"Do you want me to get you anything on the way home from work?" You asked, sad that you couldn't do more to help as you started to amass your uniform for the day. "I could get takeout or some Medicine to help?" She half laughed and pulled a clear tub full of tablet boxes and bottles of cough syrup from her draw.

"I'm Amy fucking Santiago." She struggled to keep her eyes open as she spoke. "I'm prepared, don't worry about me." She grabbed a selection to last her the day and dropped the box onto the floor. "Do you have time to just give me a cuddle before you go through?"

"I'll just get breakfast on the way, don't worry about it." You didn't hesitate to jump into bed beside her, it was so cold in the bedroom but so warm next to her. She burrowed her head gently and apologised for the abundance of illness related bodily fluids. "It's okay." You felt your eyes drift shut but Amy quickly made sure you stayed awake.

"Come on." She pushed you from her. "You need to go to work, get your stuff on. Take some money from my purse for breakfast get whatever you want." It wasn't a tough choice and they wouldn't miss you on such a quiet workday that it would have been.

"I think I'm coming down with something too." Amy's eyes opened just slightly wider and a soft smile emerged onto her face. "I'll call work after we wake up." You slid back beside her.

"When's that?" She asked, her head falling backwards as she drifted back into sleep.

"Whenever we wake up."

~*~

Written by Aaron.