Jake Peralta- Hand (a)

"You are such an idiot!" You led Jake through the clinically white halls as he clutched his blood-soaked hand. "What were you thinking putting your hand in the garbage disposal?" Rightfully so Jake hung his head in shame and adjusted the bandage you had hastily tied around him.

"I dropped something." He said, dropping himself jerkily onto a rigid, hard plastic chair. "I just didn't mean to turn it on when my hand was in there."

"Was it really that important? I was really looking forward to going somewhere nice to eat for once." A static wave began to fall from the speaker system, interrupting the usual loop of smooth Jazz.

"Jake Peralta to bay two, Jake Peralta bay two."

"Did you even get what you dropped?" You asked as you followed Jake through the labyrinthian maze of the accident and emergency department.

"I got it, I don't know if it's all in one piece but I managed to grab it before the whole spinning blades thing." You finally found the cubicle and it didn't take long for the nurse to have a laugh at Jake's expense and for her to tell you that he would recover fully.

"Don't worry about dinner." Jake wrapped his undamaged arm around yours and led you away from the hospital. "I'm just glad you're okay." After a short moonlit walk you found a bench with a view overlooking the Brooklyn bridge.

"What a view." Jake's smile could be seen even in the darkness as he wrapped his arm around you and pulled you backwards into his chest. "We'll go to dinner when my fingers all healed, we need to celebrate anyway." He held his freshly bandaged hand up.

"We don't need to celebrate your finger being usable again."

"That's not what we're celebrating." He sat up. "You never asked me what I dropped." He reached into his pocket and stood up from the bench, he quickly but unsteadily dropped onto one knee and held out a slightly bloodied ring box. "I wanted to do this in a tux at the fancy restaurant but-"

"Yes!" You cut into his speech, jumping into his arms as he stood up. "A million times over, yes!" He hugged you tightly, you pulled him tighter.

"The hand, the hand!" He pulled back to free the hand that had become trapped between you.

"This is better than some fancy dinner, at least we have a story to tell our future kids."

~*~

Written by Aaron.