Chapter 4 - Gloomy Days

He doesn't know how long he has walked under this scorching sun. The little boy keeps walking like a lifeless doll. His eyes are empty without any light, and his mouth cracked from dehydration.

Sweat started to roll down from his pale skin. His once bleeding finger already stop bleeding and the blood already dried. He didn't even bother cleaning his finger or applying medicine to it.

Behind him, there is a big leather backpack he got from the ruins of his house. He grabs any usable goods he can find from the destroyed village.

Besides the bag, there is something long that wrapped in cloth. It's Roku's katana, he needs to conceal it or it will be troublesome if anyone sees it.

Naoto keeps walking without direction. Even though he has a very good flow sense, there is still some flow he can't feel, he can't feel the flow where life leads him.

He keeps walking until he arrived at the next town. In the outskirt of the town, there is a small rundown hut that catches his eyes. It looks like it has been left for a long time.

"I need a place to live first. This house... doesn't look like anyone has been living here."

A bull with wagon walk passes him at a very slow speed. The driver, is an old man that looks like a farmer judging from his attire. Naoto hurriedly stops the old man and asked.

"Excuse me..."

A weak immature voice reaches his ears. The old man stopped his wagon and looked at Naoto with a friendly gaze. His face that is full of wrinkles pulled up into a smile.

"Oh hello there, is there anything I can help you with, young man?"

"That hut over there..."

Naoto points his finger at the small hut, and the old man grey eyes look toward the direction he pointed. He instantly realizes what this little kid wants.

"Ah, that hut has been empty for a long time, the last person lives in that hut already leave about fifty years ago."

"Then... can I live there?"

He raised his aging eyebrows a little bit, feeling a bit surprised.

"Sure since there is no one ever come back to claim the property, but are you sure? That house can break down at any moment. You are still too young, you shouldn't live here alone, go back to your parents."

Hearing what the old man said, Naoto can only reply without any expression.

"I don't have a place to come back anymore..."

The old man falls silent and scans Naoto's figure from head to toe. Tattered clothes full of blood, dirty face, and lifeless eyes.

"I see... so you have met them huh..."

Naoto didn't say anything regarding that, he knew this old farmer is talking about the demon. The old man also didn't question him, it's rude to keep questioning people who just lost their loved one.

"It's okay I'm the son of a carpenter, I have some knowledge and experience in repairing and building things.

Rubbing his chin, the old man stared at Naoto doubtfully.

"Is that so? But you don't have anything that can be used to repair the house right? Here I will give you my axe."

The old man took out a two-handed axe from his wagon. It looks old but it still in very good condition, it looks like the old man really takes care of his own tools.

Naoto feels reluctant, he is just a stranger the old man only met. Yet, he shows a lot of kindness in his words and attitude. He hurriedly waved his hand and refuse it.