Chapter 49 - Tragedy

"Die!"

A demon with wings strike down from the air, Naoto casually evade and swings his axe at the same time. The demon head fly off and turn into a speck of dust.

"Fuhhh, that's the last one."

Naoto sheath his axe back into the leather bag. He took out a pocket watch from his pocket to look at the time. This golden pocket watch is precisely the one given by Kanae and Shinobu as a birthday gift to him. Behind the cover, there is a small picture. This is the newest picture Kanae takes after Aoi joins the butterfly estate.

"Thirty minutes before the sunshine, it took longer than I thought, Kanae and Shinobu should have finished already."

He closes the pocket watch and start to grin foolishly.

"He... hehehe~, I want to hurry up and see Kanae~."

Suddenly a black crow flies above Naoto's head. It wears a purple cloth on its neck.

"Naoto, urgent message from my master."

Naoto feels a bit surprised seeing Kuromaru in here.

"Kuromaru, what are you doing here? Aren't you with Ubuyashiki today?"

"Stop talking. There is something important I need to tell you."

"What?"

"Kochou Kanae life is in danger, she is fighting an upper moon demon right now."

Hearing Kuromaru message, Naoto feels his heart stop for a second. Upper moon? He never fights an upper moon before, but his master already said it before, they are very strong. Stronger than lower moon demon, the difference of their strength is like day and night.

They already kill a lot of pillars. In the past one hundred years, no one ever kill an upper moon, and Kanae is fighting one of them? Right now Naoto's heart is in turmoil.

Without wasting time, Naoto hurriedly hop onto the cart and start driving the horse at full speed.

"Kuromaru! Lead the way!"

"Yes, that's why I'm here."

"Please hang in there Kanae!"

The town Kanae and Shinobu in right now only take thirty minutes to reach by horse. After thirty minutes, he finally arrived in the town. The town is very quiet, since the sun hasn't risen yet, many people are still sleeping. Only a few people can be seen in the business district area, they are preparing to open a shop.

...

Shinobu is walking around the town, she supposed to meet her sister after they split up to kill a different demon.

"Kanae nee-san! Where are you?"

Shinobu is calling her sister's name repeatedly, she doesn't know why but her chest feels tight, something doesn't feel right for her.

"Kanae nee-san!"

"Shinobu..."

She heard Kanae voice from behind, Shinobu smiled and turn around but soon her smile turned into terror.

"Ne-nee-sannn!?!?"

She saw Kanae is walking toward her slowly with a pale face, blood also flows out from her lips. Obviously, she is badly injured. Every time she walked, a small drop blood will fall to the ground from her mouth, leaving a faint trail.

Shinobu hurriedly catch Kanae body and lay her down. Kanae stared at Shinobu face and her hand weakly reach out to touch her face, Shinobu starts to shed tears. She already learn about pharmaceutical, with a single glance she knows that Kanae doesn't have much time.