Chapter 97 - Weird Shinobu

A few days later, late at night.

Naoto wake up in panic, his body sweat a lot and his breathing is heavy. Naoto wipe off the sweat and support his forehead with his hand.

"That dream again..."

For more than three years, Naoto will occasionally have a bad dream and it getting worse each day. The people he killed in the past few years keep coming back and haunt him in his sleep. He already forgot what it feels like to sleep peacefully. Even though he keeps seeing that dream for a long time, Naoto can't get used to it.

Naoto takes the pocket watch from the side of his futon and take a deep breath.

"This is my sin... I just need to endure it... until the times come... Only a little bit more... that's right, only a little bit more..."

He looks at the time on his pocket watch, it's still midnight. He sighed and get up, he wants to go to the toilet.

When he returned to his room, he realizes the light in Shinobu room is still lit up. Slowly, he slides the door open. Inside he saw Shinobu is doing something on her desk with her back facing him.

"Working without rest is very bad for your body."

Shinobu body flinched a little, she hurriedly hides something into the clothes without letting Naoto noticed it. With a smile, she turns around and looks at Naoto.

"I know. Who do you think you say that to? I'm a doctor and pharmaceutical who save you countless time before."

Naoto yawned and peeked at Shinobu working desk.

"Yes, yes, thank you Shinobu-sama. So, what are you doing?"

There are some empty bottles on her desk and alcohol burner.

"Just trying out some new poison. How is the pillar training progress going so far?"

"Sigh. Bad, very bad. They are even worse than I thought."

Shinobu smiled wryly.

"Don't be too hard on them, they won't be able to fight if they are injured too badly.

"Hmph, if they can't finish this child play then they will be dead when the war begins."

"Well, I just want to remind you. Go back to sleep, you still need to train them tomorrow. Don't worry I won't be up for too long."

"Yeah. Yawn."

Naoto turn around and walk toward the door before he could close the door, Shinobu voice suddenly reaches his ears.

"Ne, Nao. What kind of food do you want to eat tomorrow?"

Naoto stopped in his tracks and turn around to look at Shinobu. She asks with her back facing him. Naoto smiled playfully.

"Oh? What is this? Are you trying to cook something for me?"

Shinobu answered without looking at Naoto.

"Yes."

Naoto feels flustered by her answer.

"O-oh, er, I see, t-that was a bit unexpected."

"So what do you want?"

"Um, s-something light would be nice. But I'm craving for some mushroom and seafood."

"Got it, now go to sleep."

"Y-yes... Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Naoto gives a weird look at Shinobu before closing the door.

"Hm? Something feels off with her. Is it just my imagination?"