Chapter 22 - First Mission

A few seconds after Shiro flies away, a black crow flies down and sits on the roof. Unlike the other normal crow, this crow has a purple cloth tied onto its neck. It suddenly talks with a calm and clear voice like a human.

"Karasuma Naoto, from today onward I will be your kasugai crow."

Kanae stares at the crow in amazement.

"This is oyakata-sama personal crow, to think he will lend you his own crow. Unlike the other crow, oyakata-sama crow can speak a lot of difficult words. It's specially trained. It also can converse with us as a normal human would."

Hearing Kanae explanation, Naoto didn't feel fazed at all and only look at the crow indifferently. The crow indeed looks more majestic than the other crow, but Naoto didn't care at all.

"Ho... is that so?"

"I will only stand by Karasuma Naoto's side occasionally because I'm still my master crow."

"But why not give Nao a kasugai crow like the other hunters?"

"I don't know, it's my master Ubuyashiki Kagaya orders. I only follow what my master told me to. Back to the business. A lot of people have gone missing in town X in the west. Continued by Y village in the east, there is a lot of children suddenly disappear. In town Z at the foot of the mountain..."

The list goes on, there is so many mission he needs to complete. Naoto's face lost all of its spirits, Shinobu patted his shoulder in pity.

"Well, you are not doing anything at all in this one month, so I guess this is a punishment for you."

"But, I can't help it can I? It's not even my fault in the first place."

Because there is a lot of mission Naoto needs to finish, Kanae feels very worried.

"Will you be fine? That's a lot of mission you got right of the bat."

"I'll be fine, still, that Ubuyashiki... giving me this much work, aren't we lacking in manpower?"

"Uh actually-"

Before Kanae could explain the situation, Naoto quickly cut her word off.

"Wait, it's not that we are lacking in manpower. But the quality of the soldier is too low, am I right?"

Kanae scratches her cheeks with a troubled face, it looks like Naoto hit the nail. She sighed and smiled bitterly.

"R-right... Actually, they are just too slow at solving the problem or they can't do it at all. So the high ranking swordsmen and pillar need to clean up after them each time."

"Well, more or less I already knew who is it, this is why I tell Ubuyashiki to immediately fire them. But whatever, they are going to die not far in the future anyway."

Naoto walks away after saying that.

"W-wait Nao! Where are you going?"

"I'm going now, the faster the better, and I can come back quickly. Every second's count after all, even if there is only one second left, you could still change the situation."

He said without turning his head to Kanae and keep walking until he disappears into the house. Kanae looks worried, and Shinobu expression didn't change much.

"It's okay nee-san, Nao is just a bit hung up with what happens in the final selection."

"Sigh, I know, I'm just afraid that Nao will push himself too far because of it."

...

In his room, Naoto changed into his demon hunter uniform and dark purple haori. He put the axe behind his back while the cleaver goes to his waist. Luckily Tecchin already made the belt and sheath for both of his nichirin blades. If not, he need to use a rope to tie his weapon for the time being, and it won't look cool at all.