Chapter 18 - Night Conversation

Night fall, Naoto just finished his midnight meditation in the backyard under a tree. When he is going back to his room, he saw the light in the room beside him is still on. It's precisely Shinobu room. The door is not fully closed, so Naoto takes a peek.

Inside, her room is full of books and all kinds of bottled herbs. At the side of the room, he saw Shinobu who wears a blue sleepwear kimono. She is mixing something that looks like a purple liquid. Naoto feels curious, so he walks in quietly and takes a peek from Shinobu shoulder. She is too focused that she didn't realize Naoto is standing behind her.

"What are you doing?"

The voice that comes from behind surprised her, Shinobu body jolted and the glass full of purple liquid almost fall from her hand. Luckily she has a good reflex, preventing any of the liquid to fall off. Shinobu looks at Naoto angrily.

"N-Nao!? What are you doing here? No why are you here in the first place? Suddenly barged into someone else room without their permission? You didn't know anything about privacy do you?"

"That's a lot of questions. The door is opened, not my fault. So what are you doing?"

Naoto stared at all kinds of glass and chemical instruments on the Shinobu working desk with great interest. Shinobu eyes twitched in frustration.

"So going in without my permission is fine? Sigh, whatever. It's a wisteria poison used to kill demons."

"Oh, so wisteria is not only to repel demon but can also be used to kill them. I learn something new today."

"Yes, as you already know, the demon doesn't like a wisteria tree, it's poisonous to them. Injecting a lot of poison can naturally kill them. But the normal wisteria poison could only kill a small fry, that's why I'm trying to invent a more potent poison for a stronger demon."

"Ho ho, but how do you inject the poison to the demon? The demon won't obediently drink it if you told them to right?"

"Of course they won't silly. I use this."

From beside the working desk, Shinobu takes a single katana. She draws it out gracefully from the white sheath for Naoto to see. The blade is very thin with a wide and sharp point. It's very different from the other swordsman katana. Shinobu Katana looks like a stinger used for stabbing.

"This is my nichirin blade, it's specially made to transfer a poison into the body of the demon. First, you put the poison into the sheath, then you put the blade back, then you do this and this, I can mix more than one type of poison. After the poison is mixed, it will transfer the poison into the blade."

She shows Naoto the mechanism of her nichirin blade. Naoto looked at Shinobu katana with glistening eyes, he is very curious as this is the first time he sees something this interesting.

"T-that's your weapon!? Amazing! So cool!"

"Eh?"

Shinobu feels bewildered, she didn't expect that kind of reaction from Naoto.

"R-really? But doesn't it looks weird?"

Tilting his head in confusion, Naoto asks.

"Weird? In what way?"

Shinobu cast her gaze down, she bites her lips lightly.

"I... can't cut demon neck since my body is smaller compared to the other people of the same age, I can't exert enough strength to decapitate them. I'm the only demon hunter who can't kill a demon with raw strength. That's why I resort to using poison."

Naoto's eyes soften and he smiled, Naoto finally understands, Shinobu got a complex about her height.

"What? So that's is your only problem?"