Chapter 5 - Invitation

The faint sound of birds chirping can be heard. For Naoto, this is his natural alarm. Every time he heard the sound of a bird, his body will unconsciously react to it. Slowly, he opens his eyes and sits on the bed. He stretches his body, he feels his body a lot lighter. Yesterday he had a very nice dream about his family, he wish he can stay in that place forever even if it's just a dream.

Feeling something touching his leg, Naoto's small head looks to the side. A man with long red hair is sleeping beside him. Naoto looks shocked, why is he here? Why did he sleep in the futon? He was pretty sure that he sleep near the fireplace yesterday.

But Naoto gets it, the reason for his good dream yesterday. He looks at his hand which Tanjurou still holds, it was warm, and Naoto feels calm. He looks at Tanjurou sleeping face. Again, he saw his father's image overlapped. He hurriedly shakes his head and slapped his cheeks.

Hearing the sound of a slap, Tanjurou opened his eyes. When he saw Naoto already wake up, Tanjurou smile kindly.

"Good morning, Naoto-kun. Hm? What's wrong with your cheeks? It looks red."

Naoto averts his eyes in embarrassment.

"G-good morning. It's nothing. How long do you want to hold my hand?"

Noticing he is still holding Naoto's hand, Tanjurou let his hand go.

"Ah, sorry. Yesterday you're crying in your sleep. So I hold your hands to calm you down. I always do the same thing for Tanjirou and Nezuko."

"Wha-!? Me!? Crying!? Are you dreaming!? You must be!! You just wake up after all!!"

"Fufufu, no need to be shy. For children, crying is not something you should feel embarrassed about."

"S-shut up!"

Tanjurou slowly gets up and points his finger at the bag of ingredients on the floor.

"Do you mind if I make breakfast?"

Naoto tilted his head in confusion.

"Why?"

"Because your cooking tastes terrible."

A vein appeared on Naoto's head, he feels a bit irritated hearing that. But what Tanjurou said is the truth so he can't get mad about it. He didn't have any knowledge in cooking at all.

"And, I also want to show you my gratitude."

"...Fine... But don't use too many ingredients. That's one week's worth of food."

"Just leave it to me. My family is also poor, so we have our own way when it comes to cooking. And every dish my wife makes is very delicious. Come, I will teach you how to make tasty and delicious food."

He waved his hand toward Naoto, signaling him to stand beside him. He began to teach Naoto about the basics of professional cooking. Naoto got engrossed in what Tanjurou teach to him, he focuses on everything Tanjurou do.

A sense of nostalgia appears on Naoto's heart. Back then, Eiji will forcefully teach Naoto about carpentry and math. At first, Naoto keeps running away, but his father will always drag him back. Unexpectedly, Naoto feels studying is very fun, his father will praise him for every problem he solved.

Tanjurou keeps staying in Naoto's house for two more nights until his condition got a lot better. In that time, Naoto feels some attachment toward Tanjurou. They will talk about a lot of things, but mainly they will talk about their own family.

Every food Tanjurou make is very delicious, unlike his cooking. All of them are simple and easy to make, yet it tastes good. Naoto also learns a lot, he writes every recipe given by Tanjurou in a small pocketbook with a pencil.