Volume 8, Chapter 4 - "The Dye Is Cast"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

While the situation between Earth and Remnant was getting even more volatile by the second unbeknownst to us, we decided to take action to prepare for our task that the Blackbird told us had been bestowed upon us by the Gods (although, I did not believe in that last part) by training together, or at least, my team and I did. Cinder wasn't in the best shape after she had met the Blackbird, she refused to leave her apartment for a whole day, Mercury and Emerald were staying with her to try and break her out of her petrified state. And, I had not told (BF/N) and the others about what we had experienced on that mountain because I did not want to frighten them. Instead, I had told them to go home and rest themselves. We all agreed to stay quiet about the whole thing. So on we went with the day, Christine and I had a little sparring session, both of us using our Semblances to aid us in combat. I must point out that her new ability to stop time in specific areas so that I don't move ut everything else, including bullets, does was quite annoying. What was peculiar, though, was the fact that when I tried to slow time down in her area, nothing happened! This led to me getting a clenched fist right across my cheek and stumbling backwards to the ground.

(Y/N): "Ah... you got me good there."

Christine: "Serves you right for letting your guard down."

(Y/N): "I was trying to use your Semblance to slow you down but it didn't work. That was really strange, why didn't it work?"

Christine: "Search me. Hey, boys?!"

She called over to Ryan and Brady, who were sitting on the grass with Tooth just outside the front door of my house, Ryan with a bottle of alcohol in his hands and four empty ones lying on the ground beside him - I swore that boy could drink strychnine and survive to tell the tale if he was thirsty enough.

Ryan: "'Sup?"

Christine: "Oh, for God's sake, Ryan. It's only been ten minutes and that's your fifth already."

Brady: "That's not good for your liver, Ryan. Aren't you worried you might damage it?"

Ryan: "Of course, not. My liver went years ago! Ha-ha!"

With that, Ryan took another swig from his bottle, resulting in three sets of rolling eyes from me, Christine and Brady.

Ryan: "Now, what was it you wanted?"

Christine: "Any idea why (Y/N)'s Semblance isn't working on ours anymore?"

Ryan: "Like I should know!"

(Y/N): "Funny. I still have the ability to slow time but I can't do it in a specific place."

Just then, it struck me as to why my Semblance was not copying Christine's new power.

(Y/N): "Hm. Note to self: Remnant's Elite only copies Semblances in their purest forms. I cannot copy evolved Semblances."

Christine: "Oh, well. All Semblances have a drawback."

With that, Christine and I went to sit with Ryan and Brady. Tooth jumped into my arms as Ryan tossed the bottle that he had emptied just a few seconds ago and cracked open two more from his jacket, tossing one to me.

(Y/N): "Thanks."

I took a quick swig from my bottle before the four of us fell backwards onto the grass to stare at the great blue sky that had blessed Earth with its presence that fine summer's morning. Moments like that, lying on the grass staring at the sky with your best friends, make you feel glad to be alive, especially since it sparks joy through what you decide to talk about.

(Y/N): "Have you guys seen the Internet forums lately?"

Ryan: "Yeah."

(Y/N): "Bad, aren't they?"