Volume 8, Chapter 6 - "A Ray of Hope"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

April the fifth, Twenty-XX. In today's world, that date is known as the Battle of Moscow. To me, it was the first time that I swung my blades in anger during the War of the Broken Skies. Thanks to LION Intelligence, we discovered that Spectre was planning to send a squadron into Moscow to destabilise the Russians, seeing as he had already done so with the United States in the Florida Military Base attack. What that squadron consisted of, however, was uncertain. Once the day of the attack finally came, we were all immediately sent to the Russian capital along with the squad of LION soldiers that we had been training, although we had nowhere near enough time to properly prepare them for what was to come. Meanwhile, the generals were still under the delusion that brute force alone would be enough to win this war. They soon forgot that this was not some routine assault mission against terrorists or extreme nationalists; they had not faced the horrors that we had. This was a whole other ball game, and they were about to be taught that the hard way. As the square of the capital swept into view, I gripped tighter onto the overhead grip that was attached to the helicopter of the squadron of helicopters that we and the troops were being transported in.

Ryan: "This is one strange vacation..."

(Y/N): "Keep your wits about you, guys. This is going to get rough."

Mercury: "Since when has it ever been smooth?"

As soon as we gently landed on the ground, we were rushed off the helicopter and soon, the entire square was evacuated and all of the LION soldiers, armed with newly created high-intensity plasma cannons created in the co-governmental laboratory, stood to attention in rows with their cannons at the ready. We were about to step in but as I was about to step forward, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see the general of LION, General Jonathan Leicester.

Leicester: "Hold it. You lot are staying in the support area with us."

Christine: "What?"

(Y/N): "General, it's our home too, why can't we do our part to defend it?"

Leicester: "It has been decided that you all are far too valuable to lose, kid. And, don't argue! I've had strict orders from the UN to protect you kids and that's exactly what I am going to do."

I sighed and let the general guide us to the tent beyond the battle perimeter where the support area was. I felt Brady's hand on my shoulder as I let out a reluctant sigh. Once we were back at the tent, the whole city fell eerily silent. Everyone was staring up at the darkened skies, watching for any signs of movement. Very soon, the skies lit up with the lights of Imperial Transport Ships.

(Y/N): "Here they come..."

As the lights came closer, however, I started to sense a sort of peculiar vibe from its source. Something that I had felt before, and that everyone else knew all too well. With every second, the city square grew colder and colder, as if it were freezing the candles of hope in our hearts and replacing them with the wintery chill of imminent death. There was only one thing that could do this. One thing.

(Y/N): "Oh, my God... it's the creatures of Grimm."

All of a sudden, about thirty blobs of black and red liquid dropped down from the sky onto the ground in front of the soldiers, which soon formed into a frightening amount of Grimm spawning pools upon contact with the concrete!

(Y/N): "Alright, lads, remember what we've taught you! When facing creatures of Grimm, aim for the masks on their hands! Do NOT let them get too close or they will tear you to shreds!"

Then came the hellish demons of the underworld that man knew as the creatures of Grimm, or as I knew them, evil incarnate. The level of variety in the types of creatures that spawned from the pools was vast; Beowolves, Creeps, Geists, Ursai, even a few Goliaths!