Volume 3, Chapter 6 - "Interrogation"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

Christine's injury had meant that she couldn't continue in the Vytal Festival Tournament, much to my displeasure, which meant that I had to step in and go into the finals alone. Yep, the final frontier of deathtraps! I was scared stiff but I knew that I had to go in because it was against the rules for Ryan or Brady to step in and Christine could not go in her condition. This soon reached the ears of Team RWBY and JNPR and so Ruby had offered to be my opponent in a sparring session after classes, which I half-accepted. We had both gone down to the beach to train and I managed to keep up with her for the first few minutes but I got my ass handed to me afterwards, Requiem didn't stand a chance against Crescent Rose back then. I could tell that Ruby was going easy on me because she didn't activate her Semblance even once! Soon enough, she found an opening and struck me with her scythe, sending me back a few feet. Then, she put Crescent Rose away, I was going to ask why but then I noticed the beeping from my mask telling me that my Aura had dropped into the red. I had managed to get her Aura gauge into the yellow, which had cushioned the feeling of losing, but that still didn't change the fact that I lost.

Ruby: "You okay?"

After letting out a small groan as I struggled to get up, I put Requiem back into its scabbard as my eyes met the bright rays of the broken moon once again, casting a white veil of moonlight onto the calm coastline.

(Y/N): "I'll live."

Ruby: "Hehe. Sorry if I was a little rough."

(Y/N): "That's alright."

Ruby: "So, the rumours you had me spread are actually true! The Phantom of Beacon Academy's really as strong as they say."

(Y/N): "Don't patronise me, I'm not strong enough to win in the finals. Anyone with half a brain can tell that. I mean, it's alright for you lot. You've been in this game from the start, I haven't. I was allowed into an advanced combat school with no previous combat history. I don't have the advantages that you guys have..."

Ruby: "So?"

(Y/N): "So what?"

Ruby: "So, you never went to a combat school before and you're weaker than the majority of the students here, that doesn't make you a failure."

(Y/N): "It does in the kingdom's eyes, it does in our enemy's eyes, it does in the eyes of anyone in the world with eyes."

Ruby: "You're constantly comparing yourself to others, that's your problem. Going to some fancy combat school or having some magical Semblance isn't gonna make you any better. You know why?"

(Y/N): "No. Why?"

We sat down together on the sand, letting the smooth foam of the waves gently envelop our feet as it licked our shoes. Then, the clouds parted from the sky and let the moonlight shine onto the ocean, creating a sparkly effect on the calm waters.

Ruby: "Because you can only do your best. You can't do anything more. Who cares what other people think you are? Just put all your heart and soul into your fighting and you'll find that you can beat anyone."

(Y/N): "You think so?"

Then, Ruby smiled and flopped onto her back, creating a short wave of dust particles around her as she fell into the sand.