Volume 10, Chapter 9 - "Ready, Set, Go!"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

The starting point for the Tempest Run was Miami, Florida. Hell, yes! Miami Beach, one of the places I had hoped to waste a day under the blazing sun. Pristine sandy beach, clear blue ocean waves, beautiful girls in bikinis everywhere (don't judge) and all on the edge of a bustling city to explore! But that day, all the attention was put on the start of the Tempest Run. I suppose everyone saw this as a sort of pseudo-break from the war because although this race did have high stakes, all the fighting had been halted for the time being. The roads had been closed off so that the race could get underway. As (BF/N) and I lined up his Cortina and the Tachyon, I stood up in my car to take in the sights of all the other racers around us! I saw supercars and hypercars for as far as I could see, Earthling and Remnantian. To name some you might know, I saw Ferraris, Lambos, a couple of Pagani Zondas and Bugattis and even a few Starlight XDs like mine on the Remnantian side, except they had newer models than me. Still, didn't mean they were better than mine, you know. Nothing was as good as the Tachyon to me. Then, I spotted the bright yellow superbike that I knew as the Tachyon. I smiled and gave Team RWBY a little wave, they smiled and waved back. Strangely, I could not see Weiss, she must have wandered off somewhere, most likely to the nearest belt store - I loved that meme photo when her newest outfit was revealed with all those belts. (BF/N) and I had to wait and save the place of our missing teammate. As we waited with cans of coke in our hands, we tried to guess what car Tom would bring to replace his destroyed Jaguar.

(Y/N): "What do you think he's gonna have?"

(BF/N): "Well, he's gonna bring a British car, he's just that sort of person. Extremely patriotic. Technically, we're representing the Earth motorsport industry - well, you aren't because you're in a Remnantian car-"

(Y/N): "Restored and improved by Earthling imagination and initiative, therefore making it an Earth car."

(BF/N): "If you say so. But, with that in mind, I'd say he's gonna go for a Lotus Evora Four-Hundred. You know, like the car Vanessa has?"

(Y/N): "Yeah, but I would've said he'd go for an Aston Martin of some kind."

However, when we heard the mighty sound of Tom's engine, we realised how wrong we were. (BF/N) and I turned around to look at the car coming towards us and our jaws dropped. It was a British car but it was not the sort of car we were expecting. It was a low, aerodynamic supercar in an astoundingly beautiful sunburst orange.

(Y/N): "Is that what I think it is?"

(BF/N): "It is!"

(Y/N): "Okay, I was not expecting that."

Tom pulled up next to (BF/N)'s Cortina and my Tachyon and got out of his car. As he slammed the door shut, he smirked smugly with pride.

(Y/N): "What the Hell is that?!"

Tom: "Gentleman, I give you possibly my favourite supercar of all time, the McLaren Speedtail. It's got a four-point o-litre Twin-Turbocharged V-eight engine with a parallel hybrid system inside which produces, brace yourselves, one-thousand and thirty-six horsepower! Nought to sixty: two point five seconds. Top speed: two-hundred and fifty miles an hour."

(BF/N): "Wow."

Tom: "What do you think, lads?"

(Y/N): "I-I'm speechless, I honestly forgot how quick this car was."

(BF/N): "I don't mean to be a stickler for the rules but has it been upgraded?"

Tom: "Yep, worked all week to get her ready. She's got the jacks, the one-eighty axles, everything and more."

(BF/N): "More?"

Tom: "Perhaps you'd like to come and have a look?"

We followed the smug Tom to the back of the McLaren. He told us to wait as he opened the car's door and pressed a button on the wheel. Upon the press of that button, a hatch opened on the back of the car and something emerged from it. We paused as Tom returned to us, not knowing what to say.