Volume 4, Chapter 6 - "Children In A World of Demons"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

That night, we celebrated our victory over Spectre and the rest of his cult with drinks and singing around the campfire. Tooth was playing with Christine and Ryan, Brady and I were gathered around the fire chatting. We were scheduled to leave for the next town the next morning; it was about two days away and apparently, Ryan had some history with it. Once we had settled down a little, he told us about the next town, which was dubbed "Machibuse".

Ryan: "Machibuse is an old smuggling town, it's where I've mored up my boat during my last deal; I couldn't go by sea because I had to sneak back into Vale without being spotted by the coast guard."

Christine: "What's it like? The boat, I mean."

Ryan: "She is a very nice vessel."

(Y/N): "'She'?"

Ryan: "You call the Tachyon 'she' sometimes."

(Y/N): "Touche."

Ryan: "Yeah, I only managed to afford her though 'cause I won a substantial amount of money on the races."

Brady: "How long have you had it?"

Ryan: "About five years."

(Y/N): "Five years? How old were you?"

Ryan: "Twelve."

(Y/N): "Twelve?! You were betting on the races when you were twelve years old?! God... twelve..."

Ryan: "In fact, I've got a picture of her here."

Ryan then sent us a photo to us via his Scroll, it was a photo of him wearing a captain's hat, standing in front of a massive, expensive yacht!

(Y/N): "Is that yours?"

Ryan: "Yep."

(Y/N): "You sure you haven't been on Bullseye and not told me?"

Ryan: "I'm living on her whenever I go out for deals. How about you all come and take a look at her while we're in Machibuse?"

(Y/N): "Uh, what do you guys think?"

Christine: "I'd like to."

(Y/N): "Of course, you would."

Ryan: "What was that, dude?"

(Y/N): "Oh, nothing. How about you, Brady?"

Brady: "I'm happy to."

(Y/N): "Alright then, it's settled. Just try not to tip over the damn thing when we first set foot on it."

Ryan: "Ha-ha! I'll try not to but I can't make any guarantees."

It was then that I realised that Neo was nowhere to be seen, which didn't make sense because she stuck with us once we got away from that warehouse. I peered behind me and saw Neo sat by a tree in the distance. I got up and walked over to the tree where Neo was sitting, she was staring at the moon. When she noticed me, she smiled and moved her hand up as a sort of short wave to acknowledge me as I sat down beside her.

(Y/N): "You okay, Neo?"

She shrugged her shoulders as to say "I suppose". I could tell that something was bothering her, otherwise, she wouldn't have been out there.

(Y/N): "What's wrong?"

She made no attempt to communicate with me and instead kept on staring into space after making eye contact with me for a short while and letting out a tiny sigh.

(Y/N): "Neo, is this just your way of telling me to get knotted? Can you talk?"

She made eye contact with me once again but did not reply to my question.