Volume 10, Chapter 11 - "Desert Demolition Derby"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

As soon as we drove through the wormhole that took us to the Vacuan desert, we all instantly regretted it. To get to the next checkpoint, we had to drive off-road across the sand dunes and this was no ordinary sand. I knew it was going to be difficult to find traction in the desert but I never imagined it would be that difficult. Our cars' wheels spun vigorously every time we slowed down, kicking up waves of sand and grit. As we drove along with the scorching hot sun heating the metal on the body of our cars and cooking us inside them, something started building up in our tyres. All the other racers had this same problem as well. I must have seen more than ten entire teams that had been forced to stop because of whatever it was that was jamming their wheels. Since they were riding a motorcycle, Team RWBY did not have to stop once their wheels got jammed up by the strange substance hiding underneath the rough sand. Instead, they got off and pushed the bike forward, chipping out some of the gunk as they went. This meant that they soon passed us all and vanished into the horizon so we weren't getting any help from them, not that we would have, though, considering that they were slowly turning darker as their infections were returning. We were on our own out here.

(Y/N): "You guys alright?"

(BF/N): "No! God... so hot..."

Tom: "I need a drink..."

(Y/N): "Just a little further, guys. We can't be too far away."

(BF/N): "Uh, (Y/N)? You might want to take a look at your wheels, they're getting pretty black."

(Y/N): "Oh, great."

I slowed down a little and leant over to look down at the Tachyon's wheels. (BF/N) was right. A strange, black, gunky substance was building up in the tyres. It clung to the rubber like glue. It kept on building and building until the Tachyon started to slow down by itself! No matter how much I tried to force it, the car just would not accelerate. I silently cursed my luck and stopped to remove the black gunk with (BF/N) and Tom. Since we did not have our weapons with us... we had no choice but to use our hands to remove it.

(Y/N): "Oh, dear Gods..."

Tom: "This is horrible! What is this stuff?!"

(Y/N): "I think I know what it is. It's Grimm goo from the old spawning pools. It's just ancient, congealed, hardened Grimm goo..."

Eventually, we managed to get the Tachyon's tyres free of the hardened black liquid but that wasn't the end of our misfortunes. We were about to dive into a world of issues. The Grimm goo proved to be an annoying obstacle that we had to deal with as we drove through the desert. I noticed that some of the sand was darker than the rest, which I suspected was where the goo was, and Tom had started to skid into it because of the soft sand.

Tom: "Oh, for the love of God..."

(Y/N): "Tom, don't go there! You'll get stuck!"

Tom: "That was close."

(BF/N): "Guys, I'm beached."

We had to stop and help (BF/N) get the Cortina free. We managed to free it but then, just a mile further on, the Tachyon's tyres got gunked up again. I spun the tyres as much as I could in a desperate effort to clear some of the gunge.

(Y/N): "Aw, come oooooonnnn!!!!!"

My efforts led to no avail and we had to stop and manually remove the goo again. We toiled away in the desert for hours and by the end, we were all feeling hot, tired and worn out. Once we saw the flagpoles in the distance that indicated the position of the next supply checkpoint, we all threw caution to the wind and gunned it.