Volume 3, Chapter 8 - "Awakened"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

I don't know what happened. I don't know how many days passed. I don't even know how I was still alive. I was lost in the darkness of my own mind, hearing only the voices of many people inside my head. I couldn't move. I couldn't feel. I couldn't even open my eyes most of the time, I was only able to wake up at intervals but afterwards, I instantly fell unconscious again. My memory was fragmented. I couldn't remember what happened to me after I lost consciousness at the Vytal Festival Tournament. All I was at that miserable moment of my life was an empty shell of a man, listening to the whispers inside his head in the hope that they would somehow grant him purpose again.

(Y/N): "I just wanna be respected, okay?!"

One of the only things I could remember seeing during one of my earliest periods of sight was seeing about six doctors all huddled around me. I was underneath an extremely bright lamp and I could hear the faint beeping of a heart monitor measuring my own heartbeat. I could also hear Lisa Lavender from the VNN talking on the television in the right corner of the room.

Lisa: "The Vytal Festival Tournament was met with tragedy today when one of the combatants, Yang Xiao Long, attacked her opponent, (Y/N) (L/N) after his Aura was broken, breaking his ribcage. The attack was reported to be unprovoked but after this, (Y/N) stepped up to defend his attacker from the authorities. But, if you find that shocking, you'll be surprised when you hear this. (Y/N) then turned on the authorities and Miss. Xiao Long and started attacking them, destroying many Atlesian Knights all while holding a sadistic grin on his face. Due to the severity and brutality of this attack, some of the students at Beacon Academy are labelling him the 'Phantom of Beacon Academy', due to his frightening appearance and the pleasure he took from fighting against many of his fellow students and a professional Huntsmen. What's more, some of Beacon's students are defending (Y/N), saying that it was all part of an act, however, the fact still remains that those injuries were real and definitely were not theatre-tricks. For now, while the authorities conduct an investigation into this matter, the Vytal Festival Tournament will be postponed. As to whether this Phantom really is responsible for this attack, as the students claim, or whether something caused (Y/N) to snap is still a mystery. I am Lisa Lavender, reporting for the Vale News Network."

I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing! Surely, I didn't do those things! I would never dream of hurting anyone! Before I passed out again, I noticed that one of them was attaching an IV Drip onto my right arm. The strange numbness that I felt as the needle went into my arm made me fall into that same lonely darkness again.

Spectre: "Whoa... this is beyond anything I ever thought possible!"

Each voice I recognised made me shiver with fright, I didn't know how much longer I could take this. The episodes only lasted a short while but to me, they lasted an eternity. When I opened my eyes again, I saw General Ironwood and Professor Ozpin talking in the room I was in: the Beacon Academy Infirmary. Their voices were muffled a bit as my hearing slowly came back to me.

Ozpin: "There will be no need for measures like that, James. He can learn to control it, I'm sure."

Ironwood: "And, so am I. But, I'm only being cautious. As I'm sure you are aware, it is our job to defend the people of this Kingdom and of the rest of the world."

Ozpin: "I am well aware of this but I do not wish for one of my own students to be isolated in the vault just because of his power. We all have hidden potential in us, James, you know that. And, you also know that it's unique to each and every individual on this planet."

Ironwood: "I do know this, almost everyone in Remnant knows this. However, his... is not normal. What if he loses control? What if something like that happens again... and you can't get there in time? What happens then? Oz... I don't want to see him like this any more than you do... he's a good kid. His heart was always in the right place... but... whatever caused this... has tainted it to Gods know what end. If I could have it any other way, I would. Either way, I will continue to support his recovery as much as I can... but I won't regret my duties either. I'm only being practical, Ozpin."