Volume 3, Chapter 7 - "Behind the Mask"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

All we did that night was constantly train. We trained harder than ever! We had to become strong enough to take on not just Spectre or Cinder but both of them at once! And, that's no easy task. If Ozpin lost against Cinder in the show, I dreaded to think how strong Spectre really was. It was obvious that he was holding back when he was fighting me, I could tell. I think we made quite a bit of progress. I slept like a log that night. In fact, I was still a little sleepy when I woke up the next day but a quick wash with cold water soon sorted that out. I must admit, I was watching the clock closely, hoping that my staring would somehow make it take longer for the clock to reach the hour on which I had to leave Beacon for the Amity Colosseum. About an hour before I had to go to the tournament, I decided to go to the library for a bit. I did this for two reasons: to calm my mind and to quickly recap on some of the combat techniques that I had been studying in select books. As I was studying one of the battle forms while drinking a soda, I noticed that Mercury had passed me and started checking the titles of the books on the bookshelves to my left. I would normally leave Mercury and Emerald alone but, since time was running out, I became much more cautious of those two. It was as if Cinder was in front of me, I was that wary of them. Eventually, he stopped looking and walked away but, as I turned around, I saw that Emerald had passed me as well, joining Mercury and exchanging pleasantries before they left. I just shrugged my shoulders, disregarding it as nothing, and took another swig of my drink before leaving the library to make my way to the Amity Colosseum. As I turned around the corner though, I bumped into someone. It was Qrow, who was seeing off Yang before she went to the tournament.

(Y/N): "Oh! Sorry, Qrow."

Qrow: "Huh? Oh, that's alright, kid."

Yang: "Hey, (Y/N). It's great to see you in the finals. Looking forward to it?"

(Y/N): "Now, that is a stupid question."

Yang: "Aw, c'mon! We might even get paired up together."

(Y/N): "Hehe. I highly doubt that. Besides, I've come a long way since the start of the year, Yang. So, I doubt that I'll just be an easy win anymore."

Yang: "Oh, really~? Uhh... where's that space-age watch of yours?"

I suddenly realised that my watch was no longer on my wrist. I must've taken it off and forgotten to put it back on again. It was not good news, I had to keep that watch on me at all times.

(Y/N): "Uh, I lost it but I know where I can find it."

Yang: "That's good. Anyway, we'd better be going. The next round will be starting any minute!"

(Y/N): "You go ahead, I'll catch up."

Yang: "Don't be too long or we might start without you."

(Y/N): "Don't worry, I'll be there."

As I watched Yang leave us, I felt the anxiety in me grow because A) I might get paired with her as my opponent, and we know how that went for Mercury and B) Let's just say that Ozpin, Glynda and Ironwood won't be very happy if they knew I had lost my watch. And, Qrow knew this as well.

Qrow: "You're in deep water, kid."

(Y/N): "Yeah, you're right. Probably should've checked before I left the library. Oh! Hang on, that's where I left it. Could you go and get it for me, please? I don't have enough time to grab it and get to the colosseum in time."

Qrow: "Alright then."

(Y/N): "Thanks, Qrow. Anyway, I've gotta go now. See ya."

To make up for lost time, I transformed my boots and went full speed down the corridors, going as fast as I could towards the Amity Colosseum. As I sat in the locker room, I remembered how far I had come since my admission into Beacon Academy. I was pretty proud of myself for what I had achieved over such a short period; well, short for me, anyway. My heart was racing when I stepped out onto the arena and lined up with the other finalists. There were a few people who I didn't recognise - I assumed I would be facing them - along with Sun, Penny, Yang, Mercury, who, strangely, gave me a concerned look as I passed him, and Pyrrha, who looked quite troubled but it was then that I remembered why she was so. Then, the voices of Professor Port and Dr. Oobleck were propelled from the speakers above us.