Volume 11, Chapter 3 - "Knighthood"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

I woke up to the familiar sounds of multiple voices groaning at the feeling of bright sunlight on their sleepy eyes. I pulled myself up and stretched out my muscles. Our wake-up speed was just as slow as it was before our Initiation. Eventually, we were all awake and barely standing so we left the ballroom to walk around the academy a little more. Glynda had allowed us to have one extra day at Beacon before we had to go back to Amnesty, which we appreciated a lot because it meant we could remember the past a little while longer. So, we decided to go to the places where we had not previously explored the day before. We wandered over to the dorms and just then, my dad spoke up.

Dad: "One of these has got to be your old dorm house."

(Y/N): "Huh? Oh, yeah, it was that one over there, bottom right, second from the left."

Dad: "Oh, really? Heh. That was my old dorm as well. Come on, let's go have a look."

(Y/N): "Really, Dad? It's just a boring old dorm house."

When we got there, however, it turned out that I could not have been more wrong. None of us knew what was going on but it seemed like the students that were currently studying at Beacon were holding some sort of outdoor event in the courtyard between the dorms. There were banners hung by nails between the buildings, there were tables with rows of plastic cups for drinks on them, and there were students everywhere, all getting excited over something. There was also a large television screen in the courtyard that was broadcasting a camera feed from the Emerald Forest, following a student that was quickly hunting Grimm as fast as possible. As soon as I saw one of the academy's trademark Kid-Launchers in the middle of the square, I finally caught on to what was happening.

(Y/N): "I cannot believe they are still doing this!"

Dad: "What is it?"

(Y/N): "It's, uh, the Monster Run. It's basically a time-attack hack-and-slash sport. You are catapulted into the Emerald Forest and you slay as many Grimm as you can in as little time as possible."

Dad: "Oh, yeah? How much time do you have?"

(Y/N): "There is no set time limit, you can stop whenever you want. Then, you are given a place on the leaderboard based first on your time, then how many Grimm you had slain. This way, you can't just stay in there for the whole day and just grind into the early hours because no matter how many you kill, if you have a long time, you'll automatically be placed at the bottom of the leaderboard with all those with similar times. If you tie with someone, you're placed into the standings based on how strong the Grimm you killed were. So, for example, if one person slew fifty Beowolves while another slew forty Beowolves and ten King Taijutas, then the second competitor would rank higher than the first."

Ruby: "Look, everyone! There are our times!"

We looked at the screen and sure enough, our times and kill counts were still on the leaderboard. However, our names were lower on the standings than we remembered. I was supposed to have broken the school record and yet, there I was, in tenth place, followed by the rest of my friends, all scattered with different students in between.

(Y/N): "Hm. I suppose that Imperial Huntsman training isn't all for nought."

Jaune: "You can say that again. Remember Paris? That arrow almost had my name on it!"

(Y/N): "They're getting better, you know. You've got to admit it, they are getting better."

Emerald: "Yeah, and the next time we face them, one of these kids will probably thrust their spear through our throats."

Blake: "Hard to laugh about it with those times and kill scores compared to ours."

Ruby: "Come on, guys! That was years ago! By now, I doubt the whole Imperial Army together could even lift us off the ground."