Volume 4, Chapter 7 - "The Wind of Change"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

Fate always dealt us blow after blow. None of us could comprehend what had just happened. We had walking straight into Spectre's trap and as punishment, it cost Neo's life. I tried to refrain from speaking about it because if I did try to say something about it, it would most likely make things worse. Once we were off that island, I was back in the club, drinking myself under the table. Eventually, my teammates found me and they seemed quite upset to see me like that. They sat on the barstools next to me but even though they tried to snap me out of my trance, the one sentence that Neo said to me before she died kept ringing through my ears.

Brady: "(Y/N)? Are you alright, little buddy?"

Neo: "Because you are my friend."

(Y/N): "She spoke to me..."

Ryan: "Oh... what did she say?"

(Y/N): "She told me that I was her friend..."

We were silent for a moment; none of us knew what to say. However, after a while, Christine thought of something to say to me.

Christine: "(Y/N)... it wasn't your fault that Neo... there's nothing you could've done."

(Y/N): "Hm... guys? I think I now understand why Neo never spoke."

Ryan: "Why?"

(Y/N): "I remember what her voice sounded like very well. It was... very high-pitched, almost cartoonish in a sense. She never had anything wrong with her... she was just embarrassed about her voice..."

Once again, we fell silent, suppressing our emotions as not to cause a scene in public. Inside though, my tears were falling like raging waterfalls.

Ryan: "I think I know what we must do now."

(Y/N): "What?"

Ryan: "I think the least we can do for her now is go back to that island, find her body and bury her. She saved your life, (Y/N); she deserves an honourable sendoff."

(Y/N): "... Ryan... that's the most righteous thing I have ever heard you say. Yeah, let's do it."

Meanwhile...

(Spectre's P.o.V)

I suppose that the trap was somewhat successful in bringing Team Caliber to their knees. The Phantom had been scared away and the traitor was dealt with. Now, maybe they would learn their place in this world. As far as I was concerned, they weren't noble warriors at all, they were just four children in way over their heads. They had to learn to accept the consequences of their actions.

Spectre: "You see, Phantom, if you play with fire, you're going to get burnt."

I smirked out of my own amusement as I wandered down the halls of Evernight Castle, polishing Reckoning and Ragnarok separately as I did so. Eventually, I bumped into Cinder as she was coming the other way. She didn't look too good. She looked weak and I found it quite amusing.

Cinder: "Get out of my way!"

Spectre: "You're speaking properly again? I see my medicine has served you well, Cindy."

Cinder: "Stop calling me Cindy! You know how much I hate that nickname!"

Spectre: "Well, perhaps you'd prefer it if I called you Ash-Tray?"

Once she heard that other nickname, she growled at me, which made me chuckle a little. Now, I know that he came up with that nickname but I would take any resources I could acquire to irritate her. I also noticed that she was trembling and shuffling a little, obviously from her weakened state.