Volume 8, Chapter 8 - "Blossoming into Warriors"

(No one's P.o.V)

The second stage of the entrance exams was secretly held in the Forever Fall forest. While this was risky as Remnant was now considered to be enemy territory, (Y/N) and the others felt that those who had passed the first exam needed to prove themselves in a real life-or-death hunting situation, just as they had done during their Initiations. They would not allow anyone who didn't have the resolve, courage and determination of a Huntsman to attend Amnesty Academy, and the student applicants knew this. It was originally planned that they would use the Emerald Forest until (Y/N) pointed out that these were the months in which Beacon Academy was due to stage their own Initiations; they could not risk being discovered. No matter, though, the Forever Fall forest was just as good a substitute for the Emerald Forest. Some would say it was an even better choice due to all the manmade structures like the railway line and the temples that the applicants would have to navigate. All of the applicants, including (BF/N), Tom, Vanessa, Alex, Dick, Maggie, Topaz, Sonic, Ebon, etc, who had all passed their first exams, were standing on one of the mountainous cliffs overlooking the blossoming forest while Teams Caliber and CME stood before them in their Amnesty Academy staff uniforms, except for (Y/N) because he was too attached to his Phantom outfit to let go of it, Team Caliber in gold and Team CME in red. The dusty red mist that breezed through the crimson leaves of this unique forest was mesmerising to observe, especially once the sun reflected in the rosy grass below. (Y/N) noticed that his teammates were staring at the forest and they appeared forlorn by the sight of it. He motioned to the applicants to wait and went over to his friends to try and comfort them.

Ryan: "Heh... it's been a long time since we were last here, eh?"

Christine: "Except now we have about ten million people who want to slaughter us in cold blood populating our hometowns and schools."

Brady: "Guys?"

Ryan: "Yes, Brady?"

Brady: "Welcome home."

They all smiled at each other for a moment before (Y/N) came and put his hand on Brady's shoulder; he could tell that he was the most heartbroken one out of the three, despite outward appearances. The four of them joined hands as they watched the train steam past them, making that all too familiar chugging noise as it moved. Just then, (Y/N) felt Emerald tap him on the shoulder. He turned to her. She tilted her head towards (BF/N) and the others waiting for them. She sympathised with them the most since she knew what it was like to have the world hunting you during her time as a common thief. (Y/N) nodded in understand and he and his teammates passed her with a smile. (Y/N) took off his mask and took a deep breath before he addressed the applicants.

(Y/N): "Initiations, the proving grounds where applicants like yourselves are tested to become the warriors of light known as Huntsmen and Huntresses. Unfortunately, in recent times, the gallant souls who have been continuing this tradition for millennia have forgotten what those words mean. They have abandoned their previous teachings and have replaced them with fear, anger and betrayal. But, we have to show them that there is a different path, a path back to those core fundamental values that made them heroes in the first place: strength, courage, determination, compassion. Those are the qualities that make a Huntsman or Huntress great. And just like those who have come before you, we shall now see if you possess those qualities. Many of you have been trained to become warriors since childhood, some of you have fought to go above and beyond the expectations of the doubting voices around you. Either way, you have all dedicated yourselves to protecting the world and carving a path back to peace for both our worlds. And today, your willpower and your skills will be testing in the Forever Fall forest."

Cinder: "You are most likely wondering why we wear differently-coloured uniforms. That is because, unlike the Huntsmen Academies that you know, Amnesty Academy has a ranking system that you will be placed in depending on your potential as warriors. These are split into three different Classes: Class Bullet, Class Maiden and Class Masquerade. Your performance in your Initiation will determine which Class your team will be placed in. As for the subject of teams, unlike the other Huntsman Academies, we will not be forcing you to team up with the first person you make eye contact with. This Initiation, if you would excuse the repetition of the word, is a team effort. All of you will have to work together. If you don't, then you will die."