Volume 4, Chapter 4 - "A Venomous Duel"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

I was happy that we had left that village as soon as possible. I mean, sure it was nice to be heralded as heroes but as soon as we had collected the reward, we were gone; I jumped into the Tachyon and shot out of the village like a bullet! I felt myself at ease once we had left that cursed cavern behind. The ride from then on wasn't comfortable, we were all dead-silent, listening to the radio as we continued the drive towards Mistral. In a few weeks, we crossed over onto the continent Anima from Vale, which meant that we were almost to Mistral; all that remained was a drive across the continent. Eventually, the silence was broken when we had to settle down for the night at the next village we came across. The village we had arrived in was called Yurei, it was a small village in the middle of nowhere. It was surrounded by a wall and had multiple cottages to house its citizens. It also had a large church, which I found out later was a nunnery, a blacksmith's workshop and a moderately-sized inn. The light generated from the candle-lit lamps that were strategically positioned across the village gave it an ominous glow. When we arrived, we went inside the inn and rented out four single rooms for the night. Each of the rooms was the same; inside was a single bed with a wooden frame next to a bedside table with a lamp on it, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers with a mirror on it. There was also a window behind the bed, looking out towards the village centre. However, when I set my stuff down on the bed, I spotted a black feather on the pillow.

(Y/N): "What's this?"

On closer examination, it didn't look like a crow's feather to me. Logically, there was only one possible conclusion: it was a raven's feather. I needed to confirm this so I took out my Scroll and scrolled through the images in its gallery until I found a photograph of my teammates and me at the Beacon Dance. Then, I compared the feather in my hand to the feathers on Ryan's shirt, since he claims that his emblem is supposed to resemble a raven's feather; they looked very similar when I put the two together.

(Y/N): "Was she here? Nah, it can't be."

I set aside the raven's feather on the bedside table and decided to go to sleep, Tooth curled up on my body as I slept. But, I was awoken by Ryan, Christine and Brady about an hour later, which was confirmed once I looked at the time on my Scroll.

(Y/N): "Guys? What is it? It's eleven-forty-five at night."

Brady: "Look out of the window."

I did as I was told and pulled the curtains open. When I gazed upon the village, I saw something very peculiar. The statues from the nunnery had come to life and were floating around the village with Grimm masks on their faces! There were only four of them but they looked pretty menacing.

Ryan: "Um, call me paranoid but I don't think statues are supposed to do that."

(Y/N): "Perhaps they have ghosts?"

Christine: "Ghosts? Looks more like Geists to me."

(Y/N): "Let me guess, we're gonna have to deal with them?"

Christine: "Yeah."

(Y/N): "Argh! I hate hunting Geists! I don't know if you remember but I don't exactly have a good history with them, especially after the... phone incident. Why can't we just call the Ghostbusters?"

Christine: "Who?"

(Y/N): "Oh, you know! If there's something strange. In your neighbourhood. Who you gonna call?"

Ryan: "Ghostbusters?"

(Y/N): "You've seen it?"

Ryan: "Can't say I have."

(Y/N): "Oh, yeah. You guys don't have any Earth stuff, I keep forgetting. Besides, it's not important. Come on then, let's go on a ghost hunt."

As we were gathering our weapons and leaving the inn, I noticed all the Geists suddenly leaving their statue hosts and flying into the nunnery. With a torch in my hand, I slowly opened the door and we each took a step inside. I couldn't see a single person inside the building. It was extremely dark inside it, the only light coming from the large stained-glass windows and lit candles on the walls. My torch was the only thing that kept us from accidentally falling over any of the elevated slabs on the floor. The place was eerily quiet.