Volume 5, Chapter 7 - "Thawing Ice"

(No one's P.o.V)

Before coming back home when his shift at his part-time job finished, (Y/N) decided to take a quick run around (H/T) to make sure that he hadn't lost his touch in the endurance department. His growing anxiety over his current status was justified by Team RWBY's presence on Earth; he was afraid of fights breaking out if anyone got rubbed the wrong way and so he wanted to be ready for such an event. He was still in pretty good shape and his fighting skills hadn't really faded away over time but that was by Earthling standards, he had Remnantian standards to live up to if he could still consider himself to be strong enough to take on any threat. He didn't tell his parents about his powers or what perils he went through on a daily basis as not to worry them, especially his mother, and so he kept his training secret as well. Wanting to test his speed by timing how long it takes to get from place-to-place, he roller-bladed over to the outskirts of (H/T), where he knew no one would be at that time, and activated his Semblance, transforming into Ruby. After taking a few stretches, (Y/N) positioned himself on the deserted road and aimed himself in the direction of his home, preparing his body to reach the fastest speed it could manage.

(Y/N): "And now, attempting to set a new land speed record, it's (Y/N) (L/N)!"

He was soon applauded by the Aura clones he had spawned using Sun's Semblance in advance, which immediately disappeared once they had finished.

(Y/N): "Aw, you're too kind. Anyway, here goes. Timer ready. Three. Two. One."

As he was counting down, (Y/N)'s eyes started to glow silver like Ruby's and his Aura started to gently lick his body, brushing it with warm white candleflames, sending a pleasant flickering sensation all over his skin as he readied himself for the off.

(Y/N): "Go."

In a matter of seconds, (Y/N) blasted off in a display of white rose petals towards (H/T), pushing himself as hard as he could as he shot down the road, going at speeds almost too fast for the human eye to see. However, what he failed to notice was that with every step he took, small, white electrical bolts were generated from his feet; this was happening because both dimensions were unstable due to the recent wormhole being forced to open unnaturally by Spectre's machine. Every now and then, small amounts of spiritual energy generated from either dimension would cross over into the other, affecting the dimensions in different ways as the space-time continuum was repairing itself. It was only a small thing but evidence of this was being felt in Remnant...

Meanwhile...

(Ryan Ravenwood's P.o.V)

Unfortunately for us, the Resistance's efforts to defend Remnant from Spectre and his Sovereign Assembly weren't going too well, mostly due to the citizens of each Kingdom supporting him in what he was doing, resulting in our armies being outnumbered at every battle; it was all politics in Remnant at that point in time. Now, credit where credit's due, he wasn't the "evil, tyrannical dictator" as most people would believe, he did actually do some good for Remnant, for example, breaking down the barrier between humans and faunus through peaceful means, but the people only saw that side of him, not the bad side, which was all we needed to revolt. None of us would forgive him for all the bad he's done and to top it all off, he cheated. He sent his only potential opposition far away into some alternate dimension... he sent away (Y/N)... our leader... and our friend. No, we weren't gonna forgive him for that. Luckily, during our latest meeting, we devised a plan to gain the upper hand on Spectre. He had been gradually collecting the relics from each of the Huntsmen Academies, planning to use them to his advantage, and he only had the Relic of Destruction left to grab, the big one. We couldn't just waltz in and take it for ourselves, we'd be shot on the spot, so instead, we decided to have our soldiers set up a blockade. One of our spies had told us that Spectre's army, which he had named the Imperial Integrity Division, was planned to start their journey to Vacuo from Atlas so we blocked the northwest corner of the continent to try and stop them as quickly as we could. As I sat just outside the entrance of the Resistance Base (I was on guard duty at that time), which was located off the coast of Menagerie, where the concentration of the Imperial military was at its lowest, I rocked my chair back and forth on its hind legs, thinking about what our next step would be once we stopped the I.I.D; I had total confidence in our members. Then, Christine and Brady exited the base and walked up to me; their faces were sullen.