Volume 9, Chapter 8 - "Grudges and Memories"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. Sometimes, I felt the pain of the Remnantian Huntsman Academy Headmasters for the amount of legal jargon they had to sit and read through every week. Still, at least things were starting to look up for Earth in the war. At least, that's what I thought at first but my opinion soon changed once Ryan came into the Team Caliber room underneath my office in Amnesty Tower, where Christine, Brady and I were waiting for him, with that evening's post in his arms. Meanwhile, Brady was meditating and Christine was sharpening Ictu Oculi as usual. I swear, if she sharpened that thing any further, she'd be able to cut through the fabric of reality!

Ryan: "Yo!"

(Y/N): "Hey, Ryan. Anything for us personally?"

Ryan: "Just a letter for Kris. Oh, and the newspaper."

Christine: "A letter? For me? I don't normally get letters."

Ryan: "Well, crack it open, then."

Ryan then tossed the letter in question over to Christine before placing the newspaper next to me on my bed.

Ryan: "War news doesn't look very good, I'm afraid."

I put the paperwork I was working through to one side and grabbed the newspaper. The headline said "The Imperial March" and there was a photo of the advancing Imperial Army taken by one brave war photographer.

(Y/N): "Fear-mongering media, as usual. I don't know what you're worried about. We showed them who's boss in Tokyo. They'll never make it any further."

With that, I took a quick sip of my coffee as I placed the newspaper to one side.

Ryan: "What, haven't you heard, (Y/N)? The Imperials have reached Italy."

This sudden piece of serious news made me spit out my coffee in surprise and it even gave Brady enough of a fright to disturb his meditation! I stood up, heart racing.

(Y/N): "Good Gods! How did they do that, take that much land, without us noticing?! I could've sworn they would never break through our defensive line in Asia!"

Ryan: "But, you see, that's the thing, dude. I think they learned a trick or two while they were fighting us as the Resistance. They went around the side again..."

Brady: "You are joking."

Ryan: "I wish I was. Tch! Damn it! How could we fall for the same trick twice?!"

(Y/N): "What happened?"

Ryan: "The Asian Offensive was just a diversion. They came in through the Medditaranian while our forces were all stationed in Asia and jammed our communications so we didn't notice what they were doing. They took the whole continent in a pincer movement. Now, they're setting their sights on France and Spain, probably planning to take the rest of Europe."

I could not believe what I was hearing! I dropped onto my bed, a crushing feeling of defeat flowing through my every vein. To think... it was all a diversion. They were getting closer and closer to us by the day! And here I thought we were actually beginning to fight back...

(Y/N): "Talk about having someone breathing down your neck. I have to give something to Spectre, he's one hell of a strategist. If we want to win this war, guys, we're gonna have to get smarter. We can't make the same mistake again. We have to be two steps ahead of Spectre from now on. We just have to figure out what he's gonna do next."

With that, I let out a sigh and rested my head against my palm, my arm resting on my leg. I tried and tried to figure out what diabolical scheme was floating around in that man's head but for the life of me, I had no idea what the Imperials' next move would be.