Volume 10, Chapter 12 - "It's Just Business"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

I was thankful that (BF/N) and Tom agreed to transport the Tachyon through the portal to the location for the next leg of the Tempest Run. It was a racing circuit made out of hard-light Dust built around the island of Menagerie! The cool thing about it was that once the race was over, the machine that controls the ignition of the Dust would be switched off and the track would disappear, leaving no trace of it behind and preserving the island's scenery. However, while they were busy getting suntans and drinking exotic cocktails, I had travelled to Atlas, marching through the streets and stopping outside the Schnee Manor. Nighttime had fallen by the time I arrived. I sighed, looking up at the grand white and blue building that just screamed wealth and importance. Considering it was one of the tallest buildings in Atlas, being positioned on a large hill, that image was made very clear. I knocked on the door. I waited patiently. The doors opened and out stepped the Schnee family's butler, Klein Sieben. He was surprised to see me, not that I blamed him. It must have been a bit weird to have the leader of the enemy suddenly paying a visit to the manor, especially in the middle of the Tempest Run.

Klein: "The Phantom? Do what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?"

(Y/N): "Good evening. I wish to see Jacques Schnee, the master of this manor."

Klein: "I'm sorry but Master Jacques is very busy at the moment. Do you have an appointment?"

(Y/N): "Unfortunately, no. But, I must see Jacques. It's very important, no, it's imperative that I see him."

Klein: "In that case, you'd best come in. Come, let's get you out of the cold."

(Y/N): "Oh, thank you. That's very kind of you."

Klein held the door open for me and showed me inside the main entrance hall of the manor. I paused out of awe when I took my first look at the interior of the Schnee Manor outside of the rendered backgrounds of the show. It was just as I imagined, only much more impressive. The grand staircase that led to the upper floor was beautiful, adorned with a blue carpet down the middle. I stared at the glistening chandelier overhead and the large, imposing armour statues beside the staircase. It was blindingly white in there. I liked the colour white but come on! I had to wait for my eyes to adjust to the brightness of the manor before I could get back to my reason for being here.

(Y/N): "Nice place. Very nice place. This hall must be bigger than my house!"

I then noticed that we weren't the only ones here. The entrance hall was full of people, all dressed in former attire, mostly suits. Obviously, they weren't exactly pleased to see me there. I responded by just passing glares at all of them, that was enough to frighten them into submission. Soon, Klein spoke again and began to climb up the staircase.

Klein: "Would you mind stepping this way, please? The study is just upstairs."

I followed Klein up the stairs onto a walkway that overlooked the dining room into another hallway. All the while, I was utterly bewildered by everything. Klein gave a warm-hearted chuckle at my astonishment at the grandness of the building.

(Y/N): "This place is a palace. Must cost a bundle to heat it. And, it must be dangerous too! I can't tell what is and isn't made of ice. And, oh, Gods, there's more!"

Klein: "Hehe. Sir, this is only the first floor in the centre of the building. The estate extends further into the courtyard behind the manor."

(Y/N): "Wow. I could spend hours exploring this place."

Klein: "I wish you could. However, ever since the war started, the manor's security has increased exponentially."

(Y/N): "Well, naturally. So, what's the deal with all those people down there? Is there a party going on or what?"