Volume 9, Chapter 9 - "Love and Betrayal"

(No one's P.o.V)

The next morning after lunchtime, Teams Scarlet and VADT were walking back to their dorms from the cafeteria together like they always did. However, this time, Vanessa had taken something back with her: a cake, a small one but a pretty one nonetheless. It was a sponge cake filled with jam on the inside and the top was covered in white icing, along with all sorts of cake decorations: stars, balls, sprinkles, you name it. Vanessa's smile was brighter than any smile she had ever shown before and her friends knew why. There was a slight spring in her step as she wandered down the long corridor leading to the Team VADT dorm room with the others.

Tom: "That's a nice cake, Vanessa. Did you make it yourself?"

Vanessa: "Uh-huh."

Tom: "Now, that's dangerous 'cause you hardly cook."

Vanessa: "Well, it's for someone... very special."

Ebon: "You mean your boyfriend?"

Vanessa: "Yeah. It's Ryme's birthday today so I thought I'd surprise him."

(BF/N): "Aww!"

Sonic: "And, come nighttime, you're gonna surprise him in another way, I assume. Eh? Eh?"

Vanessa: "Sod off!"

The laughing group of seven giggled their way down the corridor towards the intersection where they would normally part ways and Team Scarlet would make their way to the Class Maiden Dorm Building. However, when she peered around the corner of one of the other corridors, Vanessa gasped. She dropped the cake. Once they heard the almighty clanging of the metal plate smashing against the floor, the others rushed back to their friend. When they saw what she saw, they froze in shock as well. There, in front of their eyes, was Ryme Zonal, except he was not alone. In his arms, passionately kissing him in the corridor, was another girl from Class Masquerade, an Earthling just like Vanessa. Once Ryme heard the gasp and crashing sound, he turned his head and his eyes widened in a panic once he saw the broken face of his girlfriend staring at him.

Ryme: "Vanessa?"

But, it was too late. Vanessa's eyes began to leak tears. She felt her heart shatter into a thousand shards of broken glass. Soon enough, the other girl realised what was going on and ran off but Ryme stayed still where he was. He then tried to reach out to Vanessa but quick as a flash, she drew her wand and pointed it straight at his chest, threatening to attack if he got any closer! Her eyes soon flooded with tears and she ran away.

Tom: "Vanessa!"

Teams Scarlet and VADT chased their heartbroken friend down the corridors until they found her facing the wall of a dead-end, crying by herself. They carefully approached her; Tom opened his arms and gently embraced his sister, letting her cry into his shoulder. The others did not know what to do, they wanted to help comfort Vanessa but did not know how to. Dick leaned back on the wall and let out a sigh. But then, the guilty boyfriend of Vanessa's found the group of seven and started to carefully approach them. While Tom was busy letting his sister clutch onto him, the rest of the boys lined up and blocked the corridor, arms crossed. They were not going to let him through.

Ryme: "V-Vanessa, I... i-it's not what it looks like."

Vanessa: "Not what it looks like?! You were snogging that girl in the corridor! It doesn't look like anything else!"

Tom: "Hey, hey... shh..."

Ryme: "Vanessa... angel-"

Vanessa: "Oh, Ryme, how could you?!"

Ryme: "V-Vanessa, I can explain-"

Vanessa: "Don't!"

The two of them went silent. Ryme tried to approach her but then Dick stood forward and faced him.