Volume 5, Chapter 8 - "A Missing Relic"

(No one's P.o.V)

When the I.I.D had returned to Evernight Castle, which had been transported from the Land of Darkness to the centre of the planet by Spectre for the purpose of easier transportation between each of the Kingdoms for them, with the Relic of Destruction, which they had just liberated from the Shade Academy Vault, in their grasp, Spectre called upon his Sovereign Assembly to discuss a few important matters. The sunlight coming from the outside world reacted strangely with the demonic fortress and its crystals, casting sharp beams of purple light upon the, now faintly glowing, bricks. As Spectre stepped into the room, his Sovereign Assembly stood in respect; they sat back down when he did so himself and he motioned for them to follow suit.

Spectre: "Good afternoon, everyone. I would like to call these meeting of the Sovereign Assembly to order. The first item on the agenda, a question. Where is the Relic of Choice? Does anyone want to hazard a guess? Hm?"

Zander: "Beacon Vault?"

Spectre: "Beacon Vault, he says? Ha-ha!"

Zander: "Is... something wrong, Spectre?"

Spectre: "Just about everything. As you already know, I have personally seen to the restoration of Beacon Academy and the Kingdom of Vale. I ordered its restoration quite some time ago and I hope to see it completed by the end of the month. Now, I went to Beacon Academy last night to overlook their progress. I took a trip into Beacon Vault to help the I.I.D find the Relic of Choice, I searched it from top to bottom."

Nobody in the Sovereign Assembly dared to speak despite all the questions they wanted to ask him, they knew better than to interrupt Spectre when he was in this sort of mood. A sort of passive-aggressive irritation brought up by anything that did not go as planned for him. Despite his seemingly harmless demeanour, inside they knew he was as fiery as a volcanic eruption.

Spectre: "It's not in there."

Watts: "What? But, of course, it's there. Where else could it be?"

Spectre: "You tell me."

Afton: "Well, we don't know. Storing the Relics, isn't that what the Vaults are supposed to do?"

Spectre: "But even so, each of the academies administered a guardian to their Relic. I know for a fact that Glynda Goodwitch was supposed to be protecting the Relic of Choice and I want to know what the hell she's done with it!!!"

Afton: "Spectre, with all due respect... perhaps you should... take one of those tranquilisers. You're getting quite... exasperated."

His friend's advice was quickly understood by Spectre once he had taken a deep breath and recognised the fact that his temper was growing shorter. He nodded to him, apologised and took out a capsule of tablets from his pocket. Then, he took out one of the pills from its capsule and quickly swallowed it with a glass of red wine that he had on the table at the time. It was only a few seconds before the medication took effect, relaxed his temper and let him let out a long sigh of relaxation.

Spectre: "Ah, that's better. Anyway, does anyone have any theories on... what she's done with it?"

Sycamore: "Well, she couldn't hide it herself, she's too closely watched."

Zander: "Are you suggesting that someone else is in on this?"

Sycamore: "I'm just suggesting that maybe she had a friend. Someone who wouldn't hesitate to conspire against us but won't get involved directly; someone who she trusts more than anyone else in this world; someone strong enough to be worthy of the Relic's power but would refuse to use it."

As his Sovereign Assembly was discussing this matter, Spectre began thinking about the idea of someone assisting Glynda to hide the Relic of Choice from him that they were putting forward. He did not believe it to be completely impossible but he found himself unable to conclude who would be courageous enough to bear that unimaginable burden on their back, let alone powerful enough to resist the military might of the I.I.D if they were ever caught. What they were saying narrowed down his mental search for the identity of this person and soon, he came to a stunning conclusion; his eyes widened underneath his mask from how surprising it was to him.