Volume 1, Chapter 6 - "A Friend in Need"

(Y/N's P.o.V)

A sharp clang of clashing metal forced my attention to return to the training match that was going on between Jaune and Cardin Winchester. I sighed as I watched Jaune struggle against him, I already knew who would be the victor of the match; it was almost painful to watch.

Cardin: "This is the part where you lose."

Jaune: "Over my dead-!"

His voice was broken off when Cardin quickly kneed him in the gut, forcing Jaune to drop to the floor because of the pain.

(Y/N): "Ooo... I almost felt that."

Cardin then raised his mace, supposedly to finish Jaune off, but then the buzzer rung and the lights shone back on!

Glynda: "Cardin, that's enough!"

Cardin backed off when Glynda Goodwitch came onto the stage, tapping some buttons on her tablet. I don't think that I had ever seen her without that thing, maybe that was foreshadowing the future behaviour of humans altogether.

Glynda: "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match."

Feelings of sadness and shame ran through me as I looked at Jaune laying on the floor in defeat. I wanted to do something to help him out but I knew I couldn't. Glynda then turned to him and pulled out a smaller Scroll with his blinking Aura gauge on it, along with Pyrrha's, Nora's and Ren's.

Glynda: "Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now would we?"

Cardin: "Speak for yourself..."

I felt the anger bubbling up inside me at that last comment but I managed to calm myself down soon enough. When Glynda told Jaune about the function our Scrolls had to monitor our Aura, my brain's lightbulb once again shone its radiant light. I started scribbling something, next to a diagram of my mask that I drew on my notepad, while Glynda spoke to all of us.

Glynda: "Remember everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!"

Just then, the school bell rang and the other students started to leave the classroom. Ryan, who was seated next to me, looked over my shoulder and saw my diagram.

Ryan: "Whatcha doing?"

(Y/N): "Just a little idea I had."

Ryan: "Let's see."

I passed over the notepad to him and he poured over the diagram with a curious expression on his face.

(Y/N): "I was thinking that... if I found a way to link up my Scroll's Aura Reader onto the lenses of my mask, I could monitor all of our Auras much more efficiently."

Ryan: "Cool idea but it looks like you're asking for more than that: Night-vision, thermal-vision, ammo monitor. This is gonna cost you more than an arm or a leg."

(Y/N): "I guess you're right, I can't afford these upgrades."

Ryan: "Oh but you're wrong about that, my friend."

(Y/N): "But... I haven't got nearly enough Lien to pay for these."

Ryan: "You just leave that to me."