Chapter 11: Mistletoe

December came quickly this year, even though it also felt like it's been years since I've seen my parents and the rest of our family. I was excited for Christmas this year and every year. Christmas is my favorite time of the year, with the cold weather and smell of pine in the air, not to mention the beautifully decorated great hall. There were several trees decorated with ornaments and wreaths and mistletoe, it was beautiful.

I walked to the great hall with Laura and a few of her girlfriends one morning. I've quite liked sharing a dorm with her and her roommates, they were all nice and fun, but there was a little issue with not having a bed or any of my own space. Jenny reckons I should go to McGonagall and get my dorm officially changed, but I have been putting that off. I didn't want to bother the headmistress with nonsense like that.

The week of school before our holiday break seemed to go on for years. The teachers were giving us piles of work to get done before the holidays. One evening I was studying in the library by myself. I didn't ask anyone else to come with me because I knew I wouldn't be able to get any work done with them there. The only one who I work well with is Scorpius, and I supposed it might not be right if I asked just him to study with me.

Maybe it was because I felt guilty, but I've felt awkward in front of Scorpius lately. Ever since that night where I was crying in his arms, I have felt like I stepped over the line and I have been trying to avoid being alone with him when I shouldn't. Otherwise, all these thoughts pop into my head.

"Working alone?" I looked up from my Potions notebook, unsurprised to see Scorpius sitting across from me at the long table. He had his own books in hand and was wearing a grey sweatshirt and jeans.

"Oh, yeah, hi," I said, turning back to my own book.

"Need any help?" He leaned forward with his arms on the table, looking at what I was writing.

"If I needed help I wouldn't have come up here alone." I snapped, without even having a reason to.

"Whoa." He leaned back in his chair, away from me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you." I grinned. "I was just focused on this."

"It's alri-"

"Well look who it is." The devil popped up out of nowhere, interrupting Scorpius.

"Fuck," Scorpius said. I held back a laugh.

"What is going on with you Scorpy? I haven't spoken to you in three days and you're spending all this time with her?" Claire pointed at me. "What's going on?"

"I think we should break up." He blurted. My mouth dropped open. I couldn't say that I wasn't really expecting this, but now? In the middle of the library? With me right here? I tried to stop myself from smiling.

"Are you joking?" Claire snapped at him.

"Why would I be joking?" He was acting smart with her.

"You can not break up with me."

"Well yes I can, and I am right now. We're done. You're a horrible human being and I can't stand you and my name is not Scorpy!" He shouted at her at once.

She grunted loudly, followed by Madame Pince shushing us, and her storming out. She didn't really look sad as she looked annoyed. But I was smiling across the table to Scorpius. He was looking down, smiling to himself and I couldn't help but notice the way his hair fell and the slight dimples on his cheeks and his lips, curled up. He looked up at me.

"Well...that was.."

"Yeah," I said nervously.

***