Chapter 40: Counting Stars

It's been a long week, to say the least. Scorpius stayed with us in that time, but after the first night, mum and dad got pissed about him staying in my room with me, so he moved into the guest room, which was only down the hall. My parents were strict about it, but Scorpius just sneaked into my room anyway.

During those nights, Scorpius held on to me as if I was going to get up and leave. Sometimes he would wake up in a jolt, sitting up and breathing heavily. He thought I was asleep, but I noticed it. After those frights, he would pat around the bed until his hand found me, and he tried falling back asleep. That happened a lot.

The mornings were much more pleasant than the nights. I loved waking up with him there next to me. It felt safe.

Al was with us almost every day, but he's also been spending a lot of time with Alice Longbottom. I suppose you could say they're dating now, but Al hasn't really told me much about her yet.

Jenny doesn't know about Alice, and I don't think I should tell her. She's coming over today, while Scorpius goes to his grandparent's house for a visit. He asked me to go with him, but I decided it would be better for him to spend time with just his family.

Jenny and I hang out in my room. She glances at Scorpius's belonging that is scattered around my room, and sighs. "It sad having him here?"

I shrug. "Sometimes, yeah."

"I can't even imagine what this is like for him," Jenny sits down. "I mean, when I lost my mum, I was only a couple months old, I didn't even know her and I still feel horrible about it sometimes."

"I know," I say. "I only knew Astoria for a few weeks. I feel terrible that I didn't know her better. But I also feel terrible because here I am trying to help him get through it when I've never lost anyone in my life."

"That's not something to feel bad about," Jenny says.

"I know, I'm sorry," I correct myself quickly.

"No, don't be, I just mean, I'm sure that just being here when he needs you is enough."

"Thanks."

Jenny asks me about my mum's campaign. I tell her that mum just started working on getting posters up and articles in the papers. She pauses before asking the next thing.

"So I take it you haven't told Scorpius about what happened?" She asks.

I tilt my head, wondering if I heard her correctly. "Seriously?"

"I'm just asking."

"Well no I didn't tell him, I went to his house and his mother was dead so no, I did not tell him." 

She hesitated. "I...I'm sorry."

"I just don't get why you're so hung up on this Jenny, it has nothing to do with you!"

"I know, sorry!" She exclaimed, though her voice didn't sound too sorry.

"Whatever," I said, trying to change the subject. Although Jenny is annoying me. I don't want to fight with her. I don't want to make more conflict than necessary.

"I think I'm going to go," she says. 

"Okay." I stand up to walk her out, but then remember that apparition exists, and she just leaves. After the pop of her leaving, I let out a yell of frustration.

I'm so annoyed, so I apparate to the Potter's house to vent to Lily. When I get there, Lily and Hugo are out in the back yard, but they have a guest, one of the Salamander twins. I go out to join them and see what they're doing.