Chapter 8: Slippery Situation

🐍Chapter 8: Slippery Situation

Coco gazed around the area. It was...dark, but luckily, they had these glowing mushrooms that illuminated the surrounding area, giving the group a look at the cave system.

It was wide, yet narrow. Many tunnels twined around the underground system, making it easy to get lost.

"This is hopeless, how are we gonna get out of here now?!" Pepe hissed, looking at the many entrances to tunnels.

"Don't worry about it..." Cho reassured the shape. "Usually, we just have to follow the lights."

"You mean the mushrooms..?" Ina asked.

Cho nodded. "Usually it's the best way to go without getting lost."

Coco shook his head. Granted he should be trusting these guys but...he just doesn't want too. He hated getting close to people that he just met...now they were telling him what to do? Great.

"I guess we should.." Ami sighed.

Coco threw a look over at him, slightly surprised. Maybe he also didn't want to trust these guys...the only reason he really followed after them was because they saved them and Ina wanted to help them.

"How long to you think this place is..? We have to at least reach the surface.." Digo added, looking up.

They fell extremely far down, they couldn't even see the light from the hole they fell through.

"Yeah! This place is huge!" Cas exclaimed, looking around.

"We'll just have to follow the trail..." El murmured, giving a worried glance at the area around her.

"Don't worry! As long as we're together we'll be fine!" Digo cheered, making the mood lighten.

Coco smiled. He was thankful for his optimism...without it he would be lost...

"Y-Yeah! Let's go!" Ina agreed.

"Yeah!"

And off they went, moving through the path before them, illuminated by mushrooms.

It was not easy.

As they went through, it became more difficult. Falling rocks and crumbling platforms that could fall into corrupted lava. Heck, the group didn't even know that the lava down here had gotten corrupted, or that there was any down here to begin with. They thought it was safe down here.

"The lava here is corrupted too..." Cas murmured, looking at the pink, slow moving lava.

"Yeah...that lizard must have done this." Coco muttered.

"Lizard?" Cho asked.

El nodded. "There was a large lizard at the top of the mountain! It may have caused this..!"

Cho narrowed his eyes. "I see..."

"Aah!" They turned to see Ina slip, only to have Ami catch her before she fell further.

"Are you okay?" Digo asked, going over to help her.

"Sorry..! I'm fine, I just lost my footing..!" Ina laughed it off, standing up again.

"Be more careful..." Ami said quietly.

"Jeez this is so boring..! We've been walking for ages!" Pepe groaned.

"Well stop complaining or else it'll take longer!" Coco shot back, glaring at him.

"Whatever..!"

"Would you two stop?" Digo sighed, turning back to them.

"Jeez those two are going to kill each other before we even get out of here..." Ami shook his head.

"Hush! Don't say that!" Ina silenced him.

"Hey Cho, how close do you think we are?" Cas asked.

"Ah...It's honestly hard to say..." they muttered.

Looking around, Ina turned and saw the mushrooms lead to another part of the cave system, while the others continued the other way.

"There's a fork in the road here..." she said.

"Ahh...now what?" Coco said.

"Hm.."

"Let's go the other way." Cho said, pointing in that direction.

"Eh? Why?"

They shrugged. "Just a hunch."

Coco groaned. "Seriously?"

Pepe shook his head. "I trust em. They seems smarter than all of you weirdos.."

Digo ignored the insult but nodded. "Come on, lets trust them.." he said to Coco.

"Fiiine..."

Then they went down that path, following down the tunnel. It was slightly darker but it may be better than falling debris...

"Hey guys! Look!" Cas exclaimed, looking up as they emerged from the tunnel into the opening.

They all looked to see a light from above, and the wall up seemed climbable...

"Wow! We can probably leave up that way!" Digo said, looking around.

"Hmph... looks like you were right." Coco grumbled, only getting a nod from Cho.

"Let's get going then! We have to reach the top!" Ina said, moving forward with Ami.

"Coming!" El said, following after.

Coco was about to move on, but he felt...strange.

"Hold on..."

Digo stopped to look back at him.

"Is everything alright..?"

Coco turned and inspected the area around them. Ina stopped and looked back at them.

"What's going on?"

Coco ignored her question, and inspected the wall before them. It was...just a wall. However he could hear air blowing out through small cracks in the stone.

"What the.."

He then applied pressure onto the wall...

And down it went.

"Coco!!" Digo yelled, seeing the crumbling wall give way, collapsing before Coco.

The circle shrunk away, hearing the others stand beside him.

"Are you okay?!" Ina asked, concerned. "That was dangerous..."

Coco then looked up, as well as the others. And nearly collapsed. There was a large, triangle shaped figure hovering above them. It sounded like a large heartbeat, echoing in the room.

"What...what is that..?" Pepe said, clearly surprised.

"Whatever it is...it's corrupted. That's not good news..!" Ami growled, taking a stand, protecting Ina behind him.

Suddenly, it began cracking.

Cracks struck up the fragile shape, and it exploded into shards, revealing multiple snake like shapes emerging from the light. All of the snakes were composed of triangles as well, and also corrupted.

"I-It's like some kind of home for those guys..!" Ina whimpered.

"Alright!" Looks like we're going to fight!!" Cas cheered.

"Don't get too wreckless..!" El scolded.

Cho stood before Coco and Digo.

"Can you two fight?"

Coco rolled his eyes.

"Hmph..! Of course we can!" He hissed.

Digo nodded. "Yeah! Don't worry about us! Just make sure you guys are safe!" He said, looking at the others.

"Alright!"

And then, the battle ensued.

They would come out on top.