ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ fɪfᴛʏ fɪᴠᴇ

Elijah enters the study in the compound, watching on as Klaus continues to throw objects from the bookshelf.

"Can I help you find something?" He asks his brother.

Klaus turns, a book in hand. "Yes, in fact, I believe you can. I'm looking for a book, about yay big, filled with our mother's most powerful spells. It appears to have been misplaced." He says, before continuing to furiously search the shelves.

"How very mysterious." Elijah replies dryly, sitting down at the desk.

"Indeed. At first, I feared the witches had succeeded in their efforts to obtain it, but, considering their last attempt ended with me relieving a rather large, tattooed gentleman of his hands, I began to wonder if the thief wasn't a bit closer to home." Klaus stops looking now, watching as Elijah nonchalantly scribbles in a notebook. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be, brother."

"Well, admittedly, I did have a theory that your sudden interest in our mother's grimoire was in some way related to whatever foolishness you've been conducting with the Crescent wolves. Therefore, I took it upon myself to carefully place it where naughty, little fingers could not pry." Elijah responds.

"And here I thought you, of all people, would understand. I am simply trying to help those wolves! Play Samaritan to the abused, champion to the underdog, so to speak." Klaus shoots back.

"How splendidly noble of you." Elijah remarks.

"Have you ever considered that, like you, I am trying to keep Lunar safe? Using our mother's magic to empower her, and her people so they are capable of protecting her?" Klaus tells his brother.

Elijah stands now, walking towards Niklaus. "Yes, unless, of course, they decide to seek retribution for decades held in exile, and Lunar will find herself in the middle of an uprising. One that will only provoke further violence. You see, you risk turning New Orleans into a war zone, brother. I won't let that happen." Elijah says firmly.

"The drums of war were beating long before we returned. I suggest you use a little less of this," Klaus makes a talking mouth motion with his hands, "and a little more of these." He points to his ears, fake smiling before sitting down on the sofa.

——————

Lunar pushes against the door to Rousseau's, stepping into the restaurant. She's glad to see the blonde human that Nik as a soft spot for isn't here. After last night, and the fact Klaus hasn't spoken to her all morning, Lunar feared she might've killed the girl.

Finding a seat at the bar, Lunar orders up The Gumbo. Her fingers drum gently against the wooden bar as she waits, legs swinging. The door opens again and in steps Francesca Correra.

Lunar ducks her head, letting her brunette hair hide her face. Francesca sits down a few feet from her, pulling out her phone and talking quietly.

Lunar leans over slightly, listening intently. She cannot make out all the words, but she gets the important ones. Gasping, Lunar jumps down from the bar stool, hurrying out. "Hey!" The waitress calls after her, holding her Gumbo.

Lunar hurries out into the French Quarter, reaching for her phone as she heads back to the compound. "Come on, Jack, answer your phone." Lunar mutters to herself, but it goes to voicemail. Groaning, she shoves the phone away and hurries home.

"Klaus! Elijah!" Lunar shouts, entering the compound. She see's Elijah on the balcony, but Klaus is no where in sight. He speeds down to her, looking worried.

"What's happening? Are you ok, the baby?" Elijah reaches out, checking her over.

"I'm fine. Where's Nik?" She asks, a little upset he's not here.