Part 97

After the whole incident with the graduation, the Diamond cousins decided to take a new hobby together. They all agreed that the garden would help keep their minds off Little Homeschool since they left. It was going great actually since they have grown different types of plants in the Conservatory. Right now; Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl were walking up the stairs to meet with the cousins. Garnet and Amethyst were holding bags of dirt, while Pearl was holding a small bucket. Amethyst gives one of the bags to Steven.
"Steven, (Y/n), Xipilli, and Starla! Special delivery!" Pearl sang. Amethyst gives one of the bags to Steven. "We got your dirt, dudes!"
"Thanks, guys; come on in." Steven leads them inside. The gem trio followed and saw the many plants inside. They were all in awe at the garden the diamond cousins made. "How much magic spit did it take to grow all these plants?!" Amethyst was amazed at the garden.
"Actually, the four of us did this the old fashion way." (Y/n) smiled as she watered a few plants. "So this is what you've been doing since you four left Little Homeschool," Garnet said.
"Yeah, working at the school was great, but I dunno if it's our calling. Besides, watching the Off Colors graduate was so bittersweet." Steven explains. "Yeah, we're proud of them, but a little sad that they're not in little Homeschool anymore," Xipilli adds.
"Well, I think this is a wonderful way to get into some much-needed for your four to get 'you' time." Pearl supported them. "Us time? But we're not alone. The four of us have each other and we have these plants too!" Starla did her sign language to explain.
Steven nods and crouches down to a blue flower "This lil' smartie is named Connie." He goes to an onion plant. "This onion's name is - Onion." He goes over to another vase. "And these perennials always come back. That one's Sadie and the rest are her band. 'Daisy Clover and the Shrub-spects'." Finally, he goes over to a single pink flower vase. "I named this one Lars." Steven then began to talk to the plant like it was a baby. "You're stuck in da ground, aren't cha? Not gonna zip into space and leave evwy'one behind, isn't that right?"
Starla joined in and pointed at some other plants. She goes over to a pink rose. "This one is Aunt Pink." Starla stands next to a white lily. "This one is Mommy." She goes over to some morning glories. "This one is Aunt Blue." Finally, she introduces a sunflower. "And this one is Aunt Yellow."
"Starla thought it would be a good idea to name some plants for fun too." (Y/n) shrugged her shoulders. The Crystal Gems looked concerned at the cousins. "Uhhh, guys?" Amethyst questioned and she ate a dirt ball. "This may not be the healthiest approach to your new hobby," Garnet told them. "I'm just - havin' a lil' fun, that's all! B-but seriously, everything's going great." Steven insisted that he and his cousins were fine. "In that case, we'll leave you four to it!" Pearl exclaims as she leaves. Amethyst follows. "Have fun with your plants, dudes." As the three gems exited, Garnet stopped and turned back. "You four should keep a close eye on your cactus, echeveria, aloe vera, and euphorbia." Then she left. Once the door was shut, the cousins turned towards the plants Garnet was talking about.
Steven lets out a sigh. "What are we doing? Is this really our thing now? Plants?" He questioned as he and the cousins go to the plants. Steven decided to take care of the cactus, (Y/n) takes care of the echeveria, Starla takes the aloe vera, and Xipilli has the euphorbia. "You're right, Steven. The others didn't look impressed with our work." Xipilli spoke out. "Yeah, I guess plants aren't as cool as liberating the galaxy..." Steven sighs. As Steven was taking care of his cactus, he accidentally pokes himself with the cactus. He puts his injured finger in his mouth to relieve the pain. As he removes his finger, he didn't notice the spit on the end of it sparkles and picks up the cactus by two spines and places it in the pot. His cousins offered to his heal him, but he politely declined the offer. The cousins took care of their plants, but they didn't know that they forgot to deactivate their healing powers and it made contact with their plants. They decided it was time for lunch and head out. Once they returned from their lunch and were surprised to see that there have come to life, but with their design. The cactus looked like Steven, the echeveria looked liked (Y/n), the euphorbia looked like Xipilli, and the aloe vera looked like Starla. They all gasped and ran towards their plants.
"Ohmigosh! Did I bring our plants to life?!" Steven exclaims in excitement. The plant cousins woofed at them happily. The diamond cousins grinned in excitement and grabbed their plants to show the Crystal Gems. Once they made it inside, they found the three of them taking a selfie together.
"Hey, guys look what we made!" Steven exclaims. "I thought you guys weren't using spit and your healing powers on your plants?" Amethyst questioned. "Relax, we weren't, but we must have accidentally used our powers when we offered to heal Steven when he pricked himself on his cactus." (Y/n) explains with a smile on her face. Amethyst squints suspiciously. "A likely story."
The cousins walked closer to show the others their plants. "That cactus really bounced back." Garnet comments. "They're survivors, just like the four of you." Pearl smiled. "Aww, and they got lumpy heads like you guys! Let's call them, 'Cactus Steven',' Echeveria (Y/n)', 'Euphorbia Xipilli', and 'Aloe Vera Starla." Amethyst helped picked out the plants' names.
"Cactus Steven/Echeveria (Y/n)/Euphorbia Xipilli/Aloe Vera Starla? We like it!" The cousins smiled together. The plants then cooed at everyone. "Are they...okay?" Pearl was becoming concerned. "They're fine. They might need some sunlight. I believe the four of us need some sunlight too." Xipilli told as his cousins agreed.
Now the cousins were at the beach with their plants sitting next to each to get some sunlight. Well, the eight of them getting sunlight.
"I love that the sunlight on the beach will never change."  (Y/n) smiled. "This is one of the best things that never change," Starla adds. "Agreed, but a lot of things are changing now." Xipilli was beginning to feel down. "We're trying to be cool about it, but it feels weird. Everyone's moving on, and we should be too, we gave up running a school but- now we don't know what comes next. Y'know?" Steven told the plants how he and his cousins were feeling. The plant cousins looked at the diamond cousins. "Maybe it was better that we didn't run the school anymore." (Y/n) felt tears coming from her eyes, but she quickly wiped them off before they could affect the others. "Yeah, who are we to decide what's best for all those Gem students?" Xippili nodded. Starla began to use her sign language so her voice can be heard from her gem. "Do you think the students are better off learning from Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl?" Steven sighs at his youngest cousins. "We used to be helpful, but the Gems don't need us anymore. Agh! Why do we need to be needed? Ugh, pull it together!" Steven gets angry at himself. The plant cousins began to look upset. The diamond cousins began to apologize for dumping their frustration on them and decided it was time to go home.
The next morning, the cousins went back to the Conservatory to water their plants and they bid them good morning. They went to look for their plant selves but were stock to find them to have grown bigger and resemble their head.