19| The Night Of The Gala (1)

It was the night of the gala. The whole Harper mansion was illuminated with countless lights and the glory could be seen from a mile away. The glamourous and well-dressed guests coming out of their cars made both Travis and Maya uncomfortable as they both arrived there.

"You sure I look okay?" Maya asked and Travis could easily see the fear in her eyes.

"You look amazing. And it's coming from someone who doesn't praise anyone easily." He said to calm his friend.

"Thanks. And thanks for agreeing to drop me." Maya said, fumbling with the hem of her dress. It was a red knee-length dress that she had paired with her mother's heels and a handbag that she had been gifted by her aunt. She had tried her best to do her makeup and even straightened her curly hair, although they ended up looking wavy instead.

"Take care. And call me when you get free." He said.

She nodded and walked out of her car. She made her way inside, in between the crowd of celebrities that were getting their photos clicked by the paparazzi.

Once Travis was sure she was inside, he started the car but that's when something on the floor of the car caught his attention. Leaning down, he picked up Maya's mobile that she had forgotten in the car.

"Shit." He said under his breath. He knew Maya was already freaked out and her anxiety would heighten if she doesn't find her mobile with her. Besides, he didn't want her without a phone if she was stuck inside in a trouble.

Parking his car at a side, he slowly trudged towards the main gate guarded by many security guards. He kept his hands secured around the mobile and reached the gate but he was stopped by a guard.

The guard looked at him from head to toe, assessing his cheap black T-Shirt and denim jeans and a frown appeared on his wrinkled face. "Where is your invitation pass?"

"I don't have any." Travis said as he noticed he wasn't asking other guests about their passes.

"What's your name, young boy?" He asked.

"Travis Anderson." He replied, looking slightly nervous.

The guard checked the list in his hand and then responded in a strict voice. "Your name is not on the list."

"I am not invited, but my friend is. I just want to give her this mobile that she forgot in the car." Travis replied honestly.

"Do I look stupid enough to believe this bullshit? It is a very important function. You can't go inside without an invitation." The man growled at him.

"Listen, I am not a thief or anything. I will just give her this phone and return instantly." Travis moved forwards but the guard gripped him by the neckline of his shirt and pulled him to a side, giving space to a lavishly dressed couple that was moving inside.

"Leave, boy. Don't force me to call police." The guard said and jerked him backwards.

On hearing the name of the police, Travis immediately felt terrified and backed away but his back collided with a person instead. "What is happening here?" He heard the familiar voice and turned around, only to find Zoey standing behind him.

His breath hitched when he looked at her, looking heavenly beautiful in the blue shimmery dress. Her hair was curled to perfection and light makeup was accentuating her already beautiful features.

"This boy is trying to enter this party without any invitation." The guard said, immediately recognizing Zoey.

"He doesn't need any invitation." Zoey said and Travis' jaw hung low at this. "He is with me." She said and linked her arm with Travis, ignoring the guard's surprised gaze.