21| The Invisible Barriers

It was about 12 at night when Travis finally dropped Maya at her house and drove back to his own house. If luck goes with him, his mother might not even notice his absence and he could easily walk to his room. Praying for that miracle, he walked out of the car and locked it.

A memory of some hours before flashed in front of his eyes. "You are a good person, Zoey." He had told Zoey while they were munching the shrimps on the food table. She had grinned sheepishly in return and her bright eyes started to twinkle.

He was afraid of the new aspects of Zoey's personality he was witnessing. He was afraid that the harmless crush he had on Zoey will start to resurface again. He didn't want that as it could only result in one way; heartache. He needed to get himself together and focus his attention back to the studies. It was senior year and he couldn't afford any lagging.

With that thought in mind, he braced himself and walked inside the house. Closing the door silently behind him, he tiptoed silently towards the dark kitchen and opened the fridge for some water. He was gulping the water down when the kitchen suddenly lit up.

He turned around surprised, only to find his mother leaning against the doorframe, watching him with cautious eyes. Rose's eyes trailed down his body clad in the expensive looking blue suit, his eyes narrowing to small slits gradually.

"Where were you, Travis?" She asked firmly.

"I... um... I went to drop Maya to the Harper's Gala." Travis said, nervous of what to say and how his mother will react.

"In a suit?" She asked.

"It's Zoey's friend's. I needed to give Maya her phone back so Zoey took me inside the party." He said, clearing his throat.

"You seem quite friendly with Miss. Zoey these days." She said and Travis shifted in his position.

"I... We... We are just friends." Travis chose to say although he wasn't sure if they were even friends.

Hearing this, Rose's expressions changed to a strange apprehension. "She is my boss, Travis. In a way, she is your boss too. Our relationship with them is not of friendship." Rose said and Travis felt a feeling of bitterness inside his chest.

"Why?" He whispered and on seeing the dejection in his eyes, Rose's heart drowned. She hated that she couldn't provide him with the lifestyle he deserved. Because of her job, he had to consider himself inferior in front of his classfellows but that's how the world works. For the Crawfords, she was a maid and Travis was the son of their maid.

"We don't belong to their class, sweetheart. They are the elites of this society and we are just some average people. I don't want to see you get hurt by getting close to them." Rose said.

Travis heart broke at her words. He knew Zoey and his world were far apart but hearing this from someone else's mouth just strengthened the doubt in his mind.

"Do you understand what I am saying Travis?" She asked and Travis nodded. She walked closer to him and then patted his head. Although he was considerably taller than her now, he was still her little boy. "I am sure you will be a great man one day. Till then, there are some prejudices in the world and we have to keep them in our mind."

Travis lowered his head and placed a kiss on his mother's forehead. After he had entered his room, he lay down to sleep. But that night, he couldn't sleep and Rose's words keep ringing in his ears

••••••••••

"They chose the worst photo of mine." Althea said as she showed Zoey her photo posted in the newspaper.