43| Big Problems, Small Problems

Travis didn't see Zoey in the school the whole day. It was better in a way because he didn't know how to react after what happened last night, how he kissed her and then left without saying anything. But in a way, he was worried about her. She had hurt her ankle last night and if she skipped school, that means she was still in pain.

His stress relieved a little when he entered the store after school and found Zoey already there. She was organising the grocery aisle, looking every bit engrossed in her work. Her hair was pulled on top of her head, with few loose waves resting on her long neck.

As his eyes moved lower, he noticed the bandage around her ankle. "So you finally decided to see the doctor?" He asked her as he entered inside.

"Yeah." she answered without looking at him.

"Is it better yet?" He reached her and helped her by handing her the items one by one.

"Yeah." She replied, still not looking at him.

He couldn't figure out if she was angry at him or not and the more she stayed aloof, the more his curiosity piqued. He would have asked her if it was not for Cody who entered through the back door.

"Here's your salary for this month, kids." He handed a small parcel to both of them.

Travis counted all the money in his parcel and decided to treat himself with a coffee and cupcake later. He then angled his neck to look at Zoey who was staring at her salary with a stressed look on her face.

"What happened?" He asked.

"It just... I own shoes more expensive than this." She said. "It's strange, how someone works a whole month for this much money."

"Still think your Dad has never done anything for you?" Travis asked her.

She let out a loud sigh, putting the money in the pocket of her jeans. "I still think he is a dick."

Travis chuckled at this. "Only you can call your father a dick." He said and cleared out the bottom shelf of the aisle by kneeling in front of it.

Once he stood up again, Zoey had made her way to the counter where she was calculating the bill of a customer. He contemplated whether to address what happened last night or not. At the end, he braced himself and made his way to her.

"So about last night," he said once the customer left. "I am sorry."

"For what?" She asked with a dumbfounded look on her face.

"About um..." He gulped. "For leaving so suddenly."

"It's fine." She shrugged and then continued doing her work. His eyebrows furrowed at this. He expected her to react worse but here she was, acting like the kiss didn't even matter to her.

"Are you angry at me?" Travis whispered.

"Of course not." She replied callously.

"So about the kiss---"

"Don't worry, Travis. Forget about that stupid kiss. I mean it isn't like that was my first kiss and I wanted to cuddle the whole night with you." She said, with a corner of her lip lifted.

Travis felt both embarrassed and sad at this. It was clear from her words that for her, any moment that had happened between them wasn't special. Of course. This was Zoey Crawford we are talking about. The girl who changes boys like heels and being the stupid naive person he was, he thought there was something special between them.

"Okay." He finally managed to say, despite the lump in his throat and made his way to the other side of store.

••••••••••