46| Little Deed Of Kindness

Standing outside her father's office building, Zoey once again assessed the pros and cons of this situation. She spent the whole last night looking for different ways of helping Travis. She even thought about selling her designer bags but there was no way she could gather almost fifty thousand dollars without her father's help. Yes, that's the amount Travis needed.

She still didn't know why she was doing that. Travis and her weren't exceptionally close but for some strange reason, she couldn't see him in pain. She wanted to relieve him of all the stress so he could go back to being normal.

Bracing herself, she stepped through the glass door and entered the building. "Yes, Ma'am. Where do you want to go?" The receptionist asked.

Ever since she grew up, she has never been to her Dad's office, which explains why nobody here recognized her except his secretary.

"I want to meet Richard Crawford. I am his daughter." She replied.

Nodding, she guided her to the elevator and told her about his office. Muttering thanks under her breath, Zoey made her way into the elevator that took her to the 22nd floor.

The floor felt somewhat familiar to her, as she has been here few times in her childhood. She used her memory to guide her to his office but suddenly, a voice stopped her.

"You can't go in, Ma'am. He is in a meeting." A woman of short stature and almond eyes said to her.

"Well, I don't think you know me but for future reference, it's his daughter." Zoey replied sternly and then made her way forwards.

"Ma'am, he hates when---"

"Ssshhhh. Go do something else." Zoey said and entered through the closed door, with the woman rushing behind her.

Few heads turned towards her and she found herself in the middle of the room, with his father glaring at her. "What are you doing here, Zoey?" He chewed his words.

"I need to talk to you." She replied.

"And it couldn't wait?" He asked and Zoey shook her head in no.

Richard took a long sigh and then finally said, "Gentlemen." With that, all the five men left the room, leaving her alone with her father.

"I need some money." She said.

"I give you enough money every month to buy the things you want." He replied, pinching his forehead in a stressful manner.

"I need more." She replied.

"That's why you disturbed me in the middle of a meeting?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "How much?" He pulled out his wallet and asked.

"Fifty thousand." She said and his hand froze on the wallet.

"What in the world do you want fifty thousand dollars for?" He groaned.

She shifted in her position, focusing her eyes on the wall behind his chair. There was a picture of her on the wall, when she was in elementary school and had won a medal for an essay writing competition, one of the very few things she had won in life.

"Can you give me the money or not?" She asked.

"No. I can't give you fifty thousand to waste on stupid things." He replied and opened up a file.

She wanted to turn around and never come here again but her legs felt like they were frozen. Travis' crying face made an appearance in front of her eyes and she took a deep breath.

"I need the money for Travis, for his father's hospital dues." She said and Richard assessed her face in surprise. This was not an everyday thing for Zoey to think of someone other than herself.