Grieving

It was really true.

Polly was dead.

All of the Coopers' close friends and family showed up for the funeral and did all they could to help the small family...but no one could really do anything.

Alice was a mess, drinking every last drop of alcohol that she had, leaving Betty to take care of the twins alone.

And Betty wanted to grieve, but taking care of two nine year olds that missed their mother like hell was fucking hard.

--

It was a week after the funeral.

Late at night, Betty was sitting with Juniper and Dagwood while Alice was passed out in her bedroom.

The three of them were watching movies, trying to forget about everything when Dagwood looked up to his aunt.

Dagwood- Auntie Betty, I'm hungry.

Betty- O-Okay, what do you want?

Dagwood- Can we go to Pops?

Juniper- No, I don't want to. (softly)

Betty- Why not, sweetie?

Juniper- Someone out there hurt mommy, I don't want to go. (softly)

Betty- Nothing is gonna happen to you, Juni, I promise.

She nodded so the three of them got up and walked to Pops, needing some fresh air.

Thankfully as they arrived they saw that very few people were there...but Juniper still clung to Betty's side.

They all sat down in a booth and looked at the menu for a moment before Tabitha walked over to them, instantly smiling sympathetically towards Betty.

She took their orders and brought them back to the kitchen before they heard the Pops bell ring, that's when Juniper gripped Betty even tighter.

Betty- Juni, calm down, I'm right here.

???- Betty?

Betty- J-Jug, hey.

Jughead- Hey...Juniper, Dagwood, how's it going?

Juniper didn't respond, she just jumped into Betty's arms allowing the young blonde to wrap her arms around her.

But Dagwood, on the other hand, did respond.

Dagwood- (shrugs) We miss mommy.

Jughead- I'm sorry buddy, but I'm sure Aunt Betty and Grandma are doing an amazing job taking care of you.

Dagwood- I haven't seen Grandma. She's always asleep or drinking.

Jughead sighed and turned to Betty who was trying to calm Juniper down.

Jughead- Can I join you guys? I was just gonna eat on my own but maybe we could eat all together?

Dagwood- Yes yes yes! Please Auntie Betty?

Betty- Y-Yeah, sure.

She looked up at Jughead with a small smile while Juniper was still in her arms, but after a few minutes she calmed down slightly and pulled away.

She waved at Jughead allowing him to wave back before their food arrived, then they ate together.

Juniper slowly began to open up more and more but by the end of their meal the kids were beginning to fall asleep at the table.

Betty- We probably shouldn't have walked here. (giggles slightly)

She looked down at Juniper and caressed her cheek before looking at Jughead who now had Dagwood in his lap.