Sightless

Lili was at home helping her 8 year old daughter, Maddie, with homework while her husband, Cole, was out finishing a photoshoot.

Maddie was doing her reading homework, reading every question out loud to her mother, but it was really hard. She couldn't read the words.

The little girl already had glasses because she didn't have the best eyesight but that wasn't even helping her.

Maddie- Mommy, I can't read it.

Lili- What do you mean baby?

Maddie- It's too blurry, I can't see it.

Lili- Aww sweetie, I'm sorry. Let me book another eye doctor appointment for you, okay?

She nodded and did her best to finish the homework. Then Cole came home.

Maddie ran to him and jumped into his arms while he carried her back over to where Lili was, and he noticed her mood wasn't normal.

Cole- Maddie, can you go do something in your room for a bit? I want to talk to mommy.

Maddie- Okay.

She left and Cole sat down next to his wife, placing his hand on her cheek.

Cole- Hey, are you okay?

Lili- (sighs) Y-Yeah.

Cole- What's up?

Lili- It's Maddie. She couldn't do her reading homework. She said the words were too blurry.

Cole- Okay, don't stress, she probably just needs a stronger prescription we can bring her to the eye doctor tomorrow.

Lili nodded and leaned her head on her husband's shoulder, still being a bit worried. But he did his best to keep her calm.

--

The next day the Sprouse family got up and had a nice breakfast before going to the eye doctor...but both Maddie and Lili were nervous. Maddie just didn't like doctors, but Lili was terrified that something was wrong.

As soon as they got there and checked Maddie in, they were taken to the back and the doctor began to run some tests on her eyes to see what she could see.

After almost an hour of running some different tests he looked at both Cole and Lili with an unhappy expression.

Doctor- Um, can I talk to you two outside?

Cole- Yeah, of course.

Lili and Cole walked out with the doctor and Cole wrapped his arms tight around his wife's stomach.

Doctor- Alright. I'm sorry to say this but your daughter's eye sight is getting worse by the day; slowly, but it is. I would say she is going to lose her sight within the next few months.

Lili- W-What? Y-You're kidding, right? Please t-tell me this i-isn't real. (tears)

Doctor- I'm sorry.

Lili broke down and fell to the ground while Cole was just in shock. But when he heard his wife's cries he was taken back to reality and pulled her into his arms.

Cole- It's gonna be okay, it's all gonna be okay.

Lili- N-No it won't, s-she's never gonna be able to see again. (sobs)

Cole- I know, but we have to stay strong for her. (tears)

Lili looked at him with her red tear stained face and nodded.

She calmed herself down and wiped her tears away before they walked back into the room.

They explained to their daughter what was going to happen but as soon as they did she started crying, not because she was sad but because she was scared.

--

Time went by and Maddie's eyesight slowly got worse but one day Cole and Lili were in their bedroom still asleep when suddenly all they heard was a high pitched scream coming from their daughters room.

Cole and Lili jumped up and bolted into their daughters room.

Cole ran to Maddie's bed while Lili knelt down next to her.

Maddie- Mommy! Daddy! (sobs)

Cole- We're right her baby, we're right here. (calmly)

Maddie- I c-can't see you! I'm scared! (sobs)

Cole pulled her into his lap and hugged her so he knew she was there but Lili just began to cry silently.

The day they were waiting for finally came.

Their daughter was sightless.

Maddie- Daddy, I'm scared. (sobs)

Cole- Shh, you don't have to be, I've got you.

She nodded and continued to hold onto him while Lili was still knelt on the floor crying.

~Years Later~

They all adjusted to Maddie not being able to see, but it did take a while, especially for the young girl.

But now she's 15 and she's much better.

While Lili was in her office doing some work she heard a light knock at the door. She turned in her chair and saw her daughter standing there with a few tears in her eyes.

Lili- Maddie...are you okay? What's wrong?

Lili got up and ran to her daughter bringing her into the office.

The two sat down together, Lili in front of Maddie, while she began to speak.

Maddie- I was just listening to music and this song came on and it made me start thinking about when I was a kid and I could see...a-and it made me realise I d-don't remember what you look like. (sobs)

Lili- Aww baby. (tears)

Maddie- I-I'm sorry. (sobs)

Lili- No, don't be sorry. It's not your fault. (tears)

Maddie- I just wish I could see you. (sobs)

Lili took her daughters hands and gently placed them on her cheeks.

Lili- I'm right here, I know you can't see me but just feel me. (tears)

She kept her hands on her mothers cheeks lightly before she let them drop allowing her to fall into her arms.

Maddie- I love you mom. (tears)

Lili- I love you too.