Perplexed Heart

Scene 1:
Aum, her father and Hazel are sitting on the bed, chatting. (*Sounds of giggles)
Aum: And it was all so good. Perhaps today's graduation ceremony will forever remain as one of my fondest memories.
Uncle: Now, graduation done. Next, your national-level match is coming, right?
Hazel: Is it? When is the match?
Aum: Ugh!😩 Why are you reminding me of it? The match is in five months and they will be starting the practice from tomorrow itself. No more respite in my life.
Hazel: Come on! Basketball is your passion, you've worked so hard to get to the nationals. Why are you being reluctant now?
Uncle: Don't call her reluctant, she is lazy. The laziest sloth. 🦥
Aum: (*in a child's voice) Phaw!!!
Hazel: Yeah, uncle is right, you're being lazy. You don't have to get tired of following your passion.
Aum: Chai. It's just that the training is too hectic and there's no freedom. (*Reminiscing) Perhaps those old practice days with MJ... (*clasps her hand over her mouth) No, I have worked a lot to come till here, now no more looking back.
Uncle: Better. Hazel, you didn't tell me about your interview?
Aum: (*interrupts) What will she say, that stupid Thyme played his own trick. He did not even hear her properly.
Uncle: (*pats Hazel's head) Don't worry! If not this job, you'll find something even better.
Hazel: (*smiles) Chai uncle. By the way, I have to attend an old friend's birthday party tomorrow, she gave me a call this morning. I will prepare the dinner for you and Aum and then leave.
Uncle: You don't have to do that. Ubon can prepare the food, you get ready tomorrow and directly leave for the party.
Aum: I have also been wanting to attend a party for so long.
Hazel: Why don't you come along? I will have a company too because the venue is quite faraway and also the party is at night and you know that I feel so uncomfortable in parties. Please, come na.
Aum: But I have the evening practice session till 8:30 pm and then I'll get tired.
Hazel looks dejected. 😔
Uncle: Hazel, why don't you take my car then? It'll be easier.
Aum: (*chuckles) She will be more comfortable without that jalopy. (*decrepit car)
Uncle: Oiii, don't insult my darling car. I had called mechanic today and he repaired it, now it works like an absolutely new car. (*Aum teases him and sticks her tongue out.
Hazel: (*smiles) All right, I'll take the car along.
Aum: Greatest mistake.🤪
Scene 2:
Thyme, Kavin and MJ are trying to boost Ren's mood. Ren is sitting on the couch, he looks disturbed.
Kavin: Remember Jane? She was asking me for Ren's number. She is hot and her parents own one of the largest software companies in Thailand.
Thyme: She is tall, right? Perfect match for Ren.

MJ: I guess we will have to set a date for Ren.
Ren: (*irritated) Stop it already!
Thyme: But why? We want you to be with someone.
Kavin: MJ too will have to find someone. I don't think his basketball player will come back to him.
MJ: Oiii
They joke. Ren's anger gets out of control. He throws his phone away.
Ren: (*shouts) Why don't you guys just leave me one? Okay, let's do one thing, I'll leave for home now. Bye. (*Walks out angrily)
Thyme, Kavin and MJ look at each other confusedly.
MJ: This time I'm actually worried. Ren's mea left him when he was just 5½. He loves her immensely and now the news of her return must have been disturbing him of late.
Kavin: Mira was the only one who could handle him in such sensitive situations. He has always been fragile and emotional. Definitely, he wants to meet his mea but do you think she'll come back to see him? She did not do so in the past 20 years but now that she's back I'm greatly worried.
Thyme: I too had had bitter relations with mea but I was never as emotional as Ren but only because of Gorya, today mea and I are happy together. But Ren, he misses his mea bitterly. I'm worried that he might end up getting hurt.
Scene 3:
Thyme reaches home. He throws his coat on the luxurious sofa.
Thyme: Mea? P' Tia?
Servant: Sir, your mea is in the kitchen.
Thyme: (*shocked, with an eyebrow raised) Huh? 😲
Servant: Yes, she is preparing something special for you.
Thyme runs into the kitchen and hugs his mother from behind. Roselyn touches his cheek and caresses his hair.
Roselyn: You must be tired. Go and change. Today, I was too lazy to go to the office that's why I thought of preparing something for you. You freshen up. I'll tell the servants to set out the dining table. We will all eat together.
Thyme: (*smiles and kisses her on the cheek) Thank you so much, mea. I'll be back in a minute. (*Runs to his room)
At the dinner table,
Thyme walks in, dressed in a bathing robe. Roselyn and P' Tia are already sitting but haven't started eating yet.
Tia: Mea, your food smells so good.
Roselyn: Is it? You know what? When I was newly married, I used to prepare new dishes everyday and your phaw would always kiss my hands after tasting the food prepared by me.
Thyme gets happy seeing them talking with each other so lovingly. He pulls out the chair and sits.
Thyme: (*teasingly) Then, phaw must be very romantic na mea?
Roselyn shyly smiles. Tia and Thyme chuckle 🤭.
Roselyn: Okay, now let's start eating.
(*As they pick up the spoons and forks to start eating)
Thyme: Auntie Yu, Tete and Jiw, (*pointing at the two maids) come and join us. Why are you standing there?
Auntie Yu: (*hesitantly) No sir, you please eat. We will eat later on.
Thyme: Please, I insist.
They look towards Roselyn. Roselyn pauses for a moment, Thyme and Tia look at her.

Roselyn: (*nods and smiles) You may come and join us

Auntie Yu and the two maids smile awkwardly and serve food in their plates and sit for having food. All of them talk.
Thyme: (*exclaims) Yummy! 😋
Tia: Mea, oroi mahk na ka. (*Food is very tasty in Thai)
Auntie Yu: Madam, you still are a fantastic cook. 👌🏻
Roselyn: (*blushes) Thank you. Please y'all take some more. Try this dish as well. (* points at the Tom Kha Gai [Chicken in Coconut Milk Soup])
Thyme: Thank god! The old rule of not talking while eating has been ended, otherwise it was all so boring and dull.
(*Roselyn smiles broadly.)
Tia: Today you were supposed to find yourself a new PA. Have you made up your mind about whom to hire?
Roselyn: Be very careful, Thyme. You're CEO of Paramanaatra Groups now. You must choose your employees responsibly. Last time, your PA leaked important information in front of the media, you must be aware of the people around you.
Thyme: Chai! I have thought considering one interviewee.
Tia: Who is it? Have you checked his background?

Thyme: Well, it's not him but her. A girl came for the interview
Roselyn: (*interrupts) Are you sure that she is not one of your silly fangirls?
Thyme: I don't think so. She has recently moved from Singapore to Thailand and looks diligent. Her resumé and interviewing skills too are impressive and most importantly she can write in English well. We were looking for one such recruit, right?Definitely she can turn her creativity in our company's favour.
Tia: But Thyme, are you sure you'll hire a female PA? Will Gorya be okay with it?
Thyme: (*assuring) For sure! There are other female employees as well and mea and you always will be in office. Most importantly my Gorya trusts me a lot, she'll never doubt me and this girl also doesn't look like a flirtatious woman.
Roselyn: You send her a mail asking her to join by the next week. You oversee her work and make sure that she doesn't interfere in your personal life.
Thyme: Okay na krub.
After dinner,
Roselyn sits on the couch. Thyme runs to her and lies down on his mother's lap like a little child. Roselyn caresses his hair.
Thyme: Phom rak khun na mea! (*I love you mother in Thai)
Roselyn: I love you too, my child.
Tia: What about me? (*Makes a sulking face)
Roselyn: (*lovingly smiles at her) I love you as well.
They all laugh.
Roselyn: I have prepared a cake for Gorya. Tomorrow before she leaves for Phuket, you give it to her and tell her I made it specially for her.
Thyme: Only for her? Will I not get to eat anything? (*Makes a puppy face)
Roselyn: Okay, okay, I'll prepare another one for you and Tia. Now, stop being so dramatic. Okay then, it's late, we should sleep now.
Tia: (*yawns) Chai. Fan dii na (good night in Thai) mea and Thyme. (*Walks away)
Roselyn: One more thing, Thyme, you ask that girl to join by this week, but be careful Thyme. Relations are just too fragile. You must learn to balance everything. Gorya mustn't feel bad.
Thyme: I will make sure about that. Good night mea. (*Hugs her like a little child)

*The End*

Next break: Ren is drinking. He says I loved Gorya, in front of a drunk Thyme. Hazel is driving, her car collides.