But Why?

Scene 1:
Thyme lets out a loud sigh and gathers up all his courage to answer his mea's call.
(*Thyme answers)
On call,
Thyme: Hello, mea?
Roselyn: (*angrily) Thyme, what's all this mess that you've created?
Thyme: (*shocked) Huh?
Roselyn: Mr. Thongthan called me this morning and threatened me to ask you to take back your complaint against his son. What is it? Did you file a lawsuit against Arthit? And what's all these news on the internet, did you beat up Arthit? Why are you carrying your PA around the city? Thyme, answer me!
Thyme: Mea, let me explain. (*He narrates the entire incident)
Roselyn: (*frustrated) See, that's why I told you not to appoint that dumb girl. Now look, what you've gotten yourself into!
Thyme: But mea.....
Roselyn: (*loudly) Don't you know how much important project luxuria.... (*Thyme looks super disappointed, at least he had never expected his mother to be so insensitive towards another woman's sufferings)(*pauses) Now, leave it!
Thyme: (*in an explanatory tone) But mea, how can I just take back the lawsuit? It's about the protection of our employees, and of every working woman.
Roselyn: You stupid! (*Pauses, Thyme looks aghast) Who told you to take back your complaint? Even if it were someone more important, then also I would have asked you to file a complaint. Such a misogynist, a debaucher deserves punishment. (*Thyme smiles proudly) But you must ensure that he doesn't come out of the prison with a bail.
Thyme: Mea, I'll make sure that he gets punished for his sins. But you know what? You're the best!
Roselyn: (*smiles) Why? You thought you're mea's a witch who would just turn a blind eye towards another woman's plight?
Thyme: Mai dai! It's just that I was apprehensive of disappointing you.
Roselyn: Don't worry, Thyme. I'll support you for every right cause. But be careful Mr. Thongthan isn't gonna let his son remain in prison for long.
(*Thyme nods)
Scene 2:
Hazel is up already. She looks clean and is dressed in fresh clothes. She is typing a mail.

Aum enters from behind with a bowl of porridge

Aum enters from behind with a bowl of porridge. She sees Hazel's mail and looks melancholy.
Aum: P', your food. (*Hazel nods, still busy typing)
Aum places the bowl on the table.
Aum: Are you planning to leave your job?
(*Hazel looks at her)
Aum: But why? (*Hazel looks upset)
Aum: Weren't you too excited to pursue this job? What about your commitment to Thyme? (*Hazel heaves a sigh and looks down on the floor)
Scene 2:
Gorya calls Thyme.
(*Thyme answers)
On call,
Thyme: Gorya?
Gorya: Thyme, good morning!
Thyme: Your call makes my morning good. (*Gorya smiles)
Gorya: Are you in office?
Thyme: Chai! Lot of work pressure. (*Pandiculates)
Gorya: Hmm. Did you speak with mea?
Thyme: Yeah! In fact, she expressed her support in my favour. She wants Arthit to be punished and all the deals with him to be cancelled.
Gorya: (*sigh of relief) That's what I had called for. I knew it that she'd be supportive. (*In a low voice) By the way, has she come today?
Thyme: Nope! Maybe she needs some time.
Gorya: Understandable.
Scene 3:
Aum rings up MJ.
(*MJ answers quickly)
On call,
MJ: (*haphazardly) Aum, everything's okay na krub? Is she all right?
Aum: Calm down. P' is fine but...
MJ: But what?
Aum: But it seems she's not willing to work anymore at Parama. I saw her typing a resignation mail.
MJ: But why? She will definitely do well in that job.
Aum: I know right, but it seems yesterday's incident has shaken her to roots. Maybe she needs time to think over it.
(*MJ sighs)
MJ: Maybe! We'll visit your place this evening. Let's see if we can convince her.
*Call disconnected*
Zone rings the doorbell. Aum disconnects the call and goes to open the door.
Aum: Zone, you here! Come in.
Zone: Where's Hazel?
Aum: (*shouts) P', Zone is here to see you.
Hazel walks out feebly, her cheeks sunken. Zone looks at her and smiles, she smiles back feebly.
Zone: Hazel, are you alright?
(*Hazel blinks)
Aum: Wait, let me bring you something to eat.
Zone: Please no, I just had breakfast, need to go to office. Just came here to talk with Hazel.
Aum: What is it?
Zone: She wants a job in my company. Maybe I have something to offer her.
(*Aum looks melancholy)
Zone: Hazel, I know you're going through a tough time, but I feel that maybe you should first think carefully and then decide anything. You see, we have several vacancies and I can offer you double the salary Thyme's paying but I feel that you should reconsider because (*pauses seeing a restraining look on Hazel's face)
Zone: Tae wa, (*anyways in Thai) if you want, you can just join us anytime. (*Pats her head and looks into her eyes) My doors are always open for you. (*Checks his watch) I guess I'm getting late, need to leave right now. This is my business cards. (*Hands her a card) Text me if you feel like joining. Take care.
He walks out and closes the door. He closes his eyes and sighs heavily.
Scene 4:
Kavin is still inebriated. He enters into his private pool area and swims across the length of the pool aggressively.
Scene 5:
Kaning is at Maytee O'Gardens. She checks her phone every now and then and sighs.
Scene 6:
It's evening time. Ren and MJ knock at the door. Auntie Ubon opens the door and welcomes them. Aum's father too comes out on his wheelchair.
Uncle: Goodness, you're here! Aum isn't at home.
MJ: Chai! We came to see Hazel.
Uncle: (*sighs) She's not willing to come out of her room since morning.
Ren: Can we just go and check on her? (*He has a guitar strung over his left shoulder)
Uncle nods. Auntie Ubon takes them to Hazel's room and opens the door for them. Hazel is on her bed, writing something on her diary. She closes her diary as soon as she sees them entering.
MJ: Nong, how are you? (*Enters and sits on a chair)
(*She smiles nonchalantly)
(*Ren sits next to her on the bed and looks at her but doesn't say anything)
(*Bell rings)
MJ: Aum must be home. Let me go and check. You guys talk.
(*MJ walks out)
*Awkward silence*
Ren: (*slowly pulls out the guitar) Heard that you're leaving Parama Groups? (*Looks at Hazel, she doesn't react)

(*MJ walks out)*Awkward silence*Ren: (*slowly pulls out the guitar) Heard that you're leaving Parama Groups? (*Looks at Hazel, she doesn't react)

Ren: Maybe I've nothing to say on that. But (*with the guitar now on his lap) I was only here to ask for a favour, I mean if you could just help me with this. I got this for myself this morning. Pretty isn't it?
Scene 7:
MJ walks out to the living room. Uncle too comes out of his room.
Uncle: MJ, Ubon went to the market. Could you please open the door for me? It must be Aum.
MJ: Krub!
(*MJ opens the door)
Aum: (*snaps) Hoii! You again! Why?
MJ: Come on! Didn't you want me to be here? (*Winks)
Aum: (*mutters) Bully.
MJ: Huh?
Aum: (*enters and throws her bagpack on the sofa)  Nothing. Phaw, where's P'? (*Walks towards Hazel's room)
MJ: (*holds her arms to stop her) Hoii, wait, 🤫. Ren is trying to console. Just wait and watch. (*Aum frees her arm and angrily glances at MJ, her father chuckles from behind them, seeing them together)
(*MJ and Aum sneak from the doorway)
Aum: (*whispers) As if your stupid Ren will ever be able to convince my P'. You don't know how stubborn she is.
MJ: Just like you? (*Aum rolls her eyes)
MJ: Not a problem. Our Ren is good at dealing with stubborn people. You just wait and watch.
(*Aum sneakily looks into Hazel's room, with MJ looking just from over her head)
Scene 8:
Ren strums the guitar strings loudly holding a wrong 'G-chord'.
Ren: Could you please help? (*Hazel sighs and rolls her eyes)
(*Ren strums louder causing Aum and MJ to cover up their ears)
Ren: Isn't that how you play the G-chord? Why does it sound so weird? I saw this on YouTube.
Ren slides his pointer finger over the fingerboard and ends up hurting his fingers. He groans. Hazel quickly looks up at his hand and pulls it and places it on her lap and examines his wound. She looks at him angrily, walks up to the cupboard and brings the first-aid box and cleans the cut and covers it up with a band-aid. Ren looks at her intently, she looks into his eyes. MJ chuckles noiselessly.
*Awkward silence again*
Ren: (*pulling back his hand) Now will you teach me how to play? (*Hazel has to give in)
Ren smiles. Ren holds the 'wrong' G-chord again and Hazel places his fingers on the right frets. He plays it correctly and excitedly smiles and they continue their session for sometime.
Scene 9:
MJ: See, I told you. Our Ren....
Aum: Hmm, agreed. You know what, I and P' are almost of the same age, but still I call her P'. Ever since we were kids she has always been the one who's very calm, sensible and only she could control my mischiefs. Growing up without her mea and having a drunkard phaw, she's been through a lot. Uncle wasn't really bad, in fact, he was the one whom P' loved the most. But he had this habit of drinking a lot, which ultimately....(*MJ is drowned in her eyes)
Aum: (*realising that MJ is lost, shouts loudly, almost startling Ren and Hazel) Hoiii, you pervert what are you looking at, huh?
MJ covers her mouth with his hand and she looks at him, shocked. Aum hits him on the head.
Aum: (*whispering) What were you looking?
MJ: Nothing, it's just that in the past 4 years I never heard you talk so normally with me.
Aum: Doesn't mean that I've forgiven you. (*Sassily rolls her eyes)
Scene 10:
Ren pauses from his guitar practice to have a sip of water from Hazel's bottle which was on the bed. He looks at Hazel and pandiculates.
Ren: I guess enough for today? (*Hazel nods smilingly)
Ren: (*smiles back) This was the smile I had come for. (*Hazel furrows her eyebrows)
Ren: (*cough cough) I mean, I have an urgent errand to run, and I need your help, so, will you please accompany me? It would be really nice if you could just come along. MJ has work, Thyme hasn't come back from his office and Kavin.(*sighs)
(*Hazel looks hesitant)
Ren: Please (*puppy eyes)

*The End*